Thursday, July 7, 2016

Buster Bar Dessert

Here's another recipe I've rescued from the deep, dark, depths of my recipe files and it's perfect for these 110 degree summer days. My MIL gave this one to me too, back when DH and I were first married and I had to feed a crew. I have collected a lot of dessert recipes through the years and this one has stood the test of time, but I hadn't made it in years. It was time to bring it back to the table. We had forgotten how good it is!

DH ran into someone at the sale barn he hadn't seen in over 20 years and he said the fella remembered what I made and do I still make this and that and he talked about how I would make donuts the last morning of works, and did I still make those rolls with the meat and potatoes and green chile in them? I don't consider myself an outstanding cook, but I have to admit that it's kind of nice to hear guys compliment what I make when they run into DH. DH climbed into the truck and told me I was famous. LOL. I'm glad I wasn't there because I would have been embarrassed, but its very sweet.

This last time we worked, we had a new guy on the crew and after day three, I heard him pipe up: "Darn! Do ya'll eat like this all the time?!" Um. No. Our 50 yr old waistlines won't allow it. :)

I served this to the crew recently and then I had 4 bites for breakfast the following morning. :)

Buster Bar Dessert

1 stick butter, melted
1 15 oz pkg Oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 gal vanilla ice cream, softened
1 1/2 C peanuts
1 13 oz can evaporated milk
1 stick butter
2/3 C chocolate chips
2 C powdered sugar

*Mix 1 stick melted butter and crushed cookies well and pat into 9 x 13" buttered pan. Set aside. Put the softened ice cream into a bowl and mix in the peanuts. Spread this over the cookie crust. Put in the freezer until set. In a medium sized pan, combine milk, butter, chocolate chips,  powdered sugar, and bring to a boil. Boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over the ice cream and return to the freezer to set. I make this the day before I plan to serve it so that it will be properly frozen.

Note: The original recipe called for margarine, but I don't keep margarine here so I have substituted butter, but I have used both through the years.


2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

If someone remembers your meals and specific dishes for over 20 years, then you really ARE famous!

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow--this sounds deadly. I'll have to save it for a special occasion when we have lots of people around to help eat it! : )
I had a friend that was a caterer and she had a favorite dessert she called "Death by Chocolate". Maybe this dessert needs a similarly appropriate name. *LOL*
BTW, sounds like you are a great cook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...