Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Few Quiet Days

DH asked me to help him run some heifers through the chute first thing Saturday morning:

                               

It was 26° as we hauled the medicine box to the chute:

        

DH and our north camp man brought the heifers up :

         

Funneled them through the pens:

         

And into the alley:

           

Waiting their turn:


Next:                                 


Hot irons on a cold morning:


He said he has abused the crew the previous week and didn't want to sour them on helping us. They had put in 12 hour days and that's a lot to ask of day hands. He deserves better help than I am, but we muddle through. We vaccinated and branded 100 hd of keeper heifers with a year brand:

                                  

By 8 a.m., they were branded and ready to move out to Chuck Box. - a pasture about 3 miles away.

                                                                     
On Sunday morning DH spent a couple hours deer hunting and I made a trip into town for Thanksgiving groceries. DH has been nursing a cold and I thought I had escaped it, but I woke up on Saturday without much of a voice. We were going to be shorthanded at the Sale barn on Monday and I HAD to be there. I'm a clerk there and sit on the block by the auctioneer. I weigh each animal being sold and assign pen numbers to each transaction, calling them out multiple times to the pen riders out back so they know where to pen the cattle. On Sunday, after I unloaded my groceries, I made some chicken noodle soup. I needed to do everything I could to assure I had enough of a voice to get through the day. I ate a few oranges. I drank tea with honey and lemon and a nip of whiskey at night. I fixed a concoction with apple cider vinegar and honey and lemon as well.  

It made for  few quiet days and on Monday, it was touch and go, but I made it through. Today I had to run into town and meet with the wife from North Camp and buy a new refrigerator, and tended to errands I wasn't able to cross off my list on Sunday. I am swearing off town for the foreseeable future!




6 comments:

Dorian said...

Hope you two are feeling better Karin. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Feel Better soon! and that was a lot of heifers to brand and vaccinate!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Really hope you two feel better! In October, I had a cold for the first time in over four years...I'd forgotten how miserable having a cold can be. Have the best ever Thanksgiving and get some rest!!! Best medicine ever!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

I would say on most days your husband is more than happy to have you working by his side--cooking, working cattle or quilting.

Unknown said...

Nothin' worse than being sick when people are depending on your. Hoping your homemade medicine drives that cold away and that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Shelly said...

I hate going to town in the winter. I'm always afraid I'll bring something nasty home to My Cowboy, who canNOT afford to get sick with anything, considering all his normal ailments. And last year, I got pneumonia from being out fanning around. I hope your colds are short-lived, and now that you have them out of the way, winter should be smooth sailing, right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...