Saturday, November 17, 2018

In the Kitchen

Whew! I am done in the kitchen! I really do enjoy cooking, but those early mornings are hard on this old gal. This week our camp man's wife came over one morning after I got back from trailering the boys out and dropping them off:


She is fun and a really good cook and she is sweet to share her expertise.


Last year she cooked one day when I was working and DH still brags on her Chicken Fried Steak. We've eaten and made a lot of Chicken Fried Steak through the years, but I'm fairly certain she's ruined it for us now because we've never eaten one as good as the one she makes. I'd love to share her recipe, but it may be a while because I have to figure out how to get all those little tips and tricks of the trade onto paper. It might be easier if you come visit and I'll fix it for you.


That was a busy day. The vet was here preg-checking after dinner


I bagged up leftover cookies and stashed them in his rig as well as the other fellas on the crew as I headed out to town to return a chicken cage to a co-worker who is moving. She was sweet and gifted me 6 of her pretty chickens earlier in the week:


We visited for a few minutes and I headed home, but it was dark by the time I got back. With the time change, we keep running out of daylight and we're always choring in the dark. But I was back in the kitchen long enough to make a Buttermilk Pie and get it in the oven for dessert the next day:

                                                  

I made another recipe yesterday that she shared with me... Smothered Burritos. Good gravy! At this rate, I'm going to have to double the distance I walk. It was fun to have company in the kitchen for a day and I have a few tried and true new recipes to add to my recipe books. I have 2 and they're getting full and falling apart. The kids have forbidden me to replace my original one, but I recently picked up a new one that caught my eye when I was in a shop in town.


There's lots of room for new favorites!

I am ready to shut down the kitchen for a day or two, but I always miss the crew. They are a hoot. The mornings have been so cold and they look comical climbing into the saddle with multiple layers. At one point I was asked by one of our regulars, "Can you give me a boost?" LOL

On another morning, as we were all packing into the pickup, to trailer the rig about 12 miles and I heard this comment from one day hand to another, "You wouldn't think less of me if I wanted to snuggle, would you?" SNORT.

I am not naming names. 😎

6 comments:

Dorian said...

ROFL!! Thanks for the laugh this morning Karin. That snuggle comment is just too funny :) Glad you are getting a break now. It's nice having someone helping out in the kitchen sometimes, glad you had a nice day.

Janet O. said...

This post had me smiling, and then laughing!
BTW, those recipe books will be family heirlooms.

Tired Teacher said...

Good to see you had a kitchen helper for a day. The early mornings would be a real struggle for me to pitch in, and my cooking skills pretty rusty.

Sherrill said...

HA!! I can just see those guys snuggling! Maybe they need seat heaters! Sounds like a LOT of yummy grub. I used to make buttermilk pies--so good!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh man - you all eat good!!! The snuggle comment... I so understand! Glad you had a great time - and heres to a little time off! ( well from cooking)

Shelly said...

OMG! Hilarious! I love a Cowboy's sense of humor! Nothing like 'em in all the world -- good people. Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...