Saturday, December 15, 2018

Let it Be Christmas Everywhere

That's the title of an Alan Jackson song that went through my head as I sat down to write this post. Oh, December! I love it. I love the anticipation of Christmas. All the planning and baking and decorating. I love the celebration of Christ... the traditions... the memories. I love the quiet moments. I love having a houseful even though we all have to share one teeny bathroom. We get by pretty well.

My dad was in the Air Force and he was stationed in Denver with a good friend who had 8 kids... and one bathroom. He posted a morning schedule outside the bathroom. Everyone got 15 minutes. If you were late, you were out of luck. 😏 I'll bet those kids learned the importance of being on time!

I used to stress out about Christmas, but I've gotten wise in my old age. No stress allowed. However, like everyone else, the list of things to do is long. And for some unknown reason I decided I needed to paint a bedroom 2 weeks before Christmas - a bedroom with bad paneling no less. It's actually my sewing room that masquerades as a guestroom on occasion. Sigh. Who does that?!
A crazy person.
Guilty.


It took me two days because I had to use Kilz and then paint and we have 9' ceilings. I worked on two walls at a time and moved everything from one side of the room to the other. Done! Now if I can only remember where I stashed everything when I get back to sewing!

We had the Sale Barn Christmas Party Thursday night - always a fun gathering, but we didn't stay late as we were both plumb tuckered out. They had a really good band that played the best music and I remember a time when we would have danced until the last note was played. Thursday we lasted about 10 songs.

I finally got the tree decorated. It's not a magazine worthy tree, but it's filled with memories from the past 31 years and it brings me such joy as I unpack each ornament:


Today I am attempting to make a wreath I saw online:


And the house is filled with the smell of Christmas goodies baking in the oven. I asked DH and the kids to each choose their favorite because I was not making 20 different goodies this year. DH wanted praline pecans so I sorted through lots of recipes because I really didn't have one. I'll share them in a few days because I need to make more. Let me just say these are ADDICTIVE and I think they're going to become everyone's favorite.


My mom is arriving next week. She'll be here for 9 days so I'm working on a grocery list because I am hoping to avoid the grocery store over Christmas. She mailed a package of stocking stuffers because she said she wouldn't have room for them in her suitcase. My mom is very thoughtful...she even remembers Skeet


I'm also enjoying stitching binding on a Scrappy Christmas quilt as we watch the WNFR each evening although we have a hard time keeping our eyes open past 9.


I hope that you too are taking time for all the things that bring you joy as we close in on Christmas


6 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Painting?! You are an ambitious lady. I like the idea of asking everyone for their favorite treat and only making those selected. Enjoy this last crazy week of preparation and have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Judy said...

Our daughter wants her bathroom painted before Christmas, but we need to get our Texas license’s first. We have more travel trailer issues so we are rather “stuck” in Texas. Living in a small trailer with little space doesn’t allow for Christmas decorations but I don’t mind. Our daughter has 3 trees at her house and we will be with them. It’s nice to live in a small quiet space without all the hustle and cooking, one of the few advantages of being old, I guess. I’m ready to get going but I will leave that up to my Lord. Have a nice Christmas and God Bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

The wreath you’re making looks very interesting. Would you please share where you found it on the internet? Have fun with your Christmas baking ... mine consists of nuts ‘n’ bolts only in recent years, LOL! Candy

Shelly said...

I don't think you're crazy. I always tackle a remodeling project over the Christmas break! Last year was finishing up the utility room. This year it's the spare bedroom downstairs and the rest of the kitchen. I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful, restful Christmas with your family!

Anonymous said...

I love the song by Alan Jackson. Have never heard it before, but it is now one of my all time favorites. Thanks for sharing it. Mary

Nancy said...

I have never heard this song before. I love it! Thank you for posting it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...