Sunday, July 19, 2020

Neutral Gender Baby Quilt

In January, our girl asked me to make a quilt for friends and co-workers who were expecting and waiting to find out if they were having a boy or a girl. I stressed over fabrics, but after finding this print:

                                    

I felt like it was a good starting point. I settled on making a triangle quilt and pulled and cut fabrics from my stash

                                             

I had to go back for more of the focus fabric. I cut 6 1/2" triangles and was able to get 7 triangles from each strip of fabric. I really liked the way it went together. The secret to a triangle quilt for me is starch, starch, and more starch. After a run through the washer and dryer, it finishes as 40 x 48 and it spent a little bit of time soaking up the dappled sunlight in Texas before heading to OK:

                                                  

I backed it in this soft mint minky and bound it with a gray grunge:


And Jackie used a fun, modern design for the quilting


I'm no longer able to use the flash drive in my sewing machine for embroidery labels so I had one made by a gal at the local quilt shop in town. I ordered it while I was back home in NM and it was ready after I came back to Texas so DH earned a trip to the local quilt shop. 😉 This is my favorite Scripture for baby quilts. I cropped the personal information out of the photo:

                                 

He picked up the label and sent it to me. I stitched it on, packed up the quilt and sent it to OK. It's already a well traveled quilt. 😊


No chicken coop here so this is my Texas quilt spot:

                                          

The baby just recently arrived and I hope this quilt will become a favorite. It was stitched with love and prayers:


14 comments:

Dorian said...

A nice quilt Karin. I love the colors and simple design. Hope your Mom is doing well.

Violet said...

Very pretty and I love that there is no sashing! I've always heard minky is hard to sew with so I haven't tried it yet. I am currently working on a storm at sea quilt and know how tricky those bias cuts can be.

Anonymous said...

I love that fabric and used it in a quilt for my grandbaby! Have more of it, so I may make a triangle baby quilt, too. I tthink your fabric selections are perfect, and the verse is so fitting!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That turned out SEW beautifully!! Th fabrics from your stash worked perfectly with the focal print you chose. You totally nailed gender neutral for this sweet baby quilt!

Sherrill said...

Ooo, you found some great photo ops even in old Texas. HA! Such a cute little cute; I am in awe of anyone who willing works with triangles as I hate those things.

Deborah said...

What a pretty baby quilt and the verse on the label is perfect.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s adorable! You find the sweetest fabric for baby quilts.

Libby said...

Thanks for sharing the quilt.....especially love the Bible Verse.

Donna said...

What a cute baby quilt! I love minky backing too!

Janet O. said...

Again, your baby quilt leaves me in awe. What a wonderful finish--and I do like what you have on the label.

Anonymous said...

What an adorable quilt! You did a super job mixing colors and you created the perfect pattern! A win-win! I’m sure the family will love it. (From Margaret - my google acct and I are having issues, so I have to send this as Anonymous)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love the focus fabric, great choice! The quilt is so cute! Happy stitching!

Lindah said...

A lovely baby quilt! And the label is perfect.
You all are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Shelly said...

Very cute! That's a darling focal print.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...