Thursday, July 23, 2020

Tequila Key Lime Pie

I must be on a citrus kick...last week I shared the recipe for the lemon cookies I made, this week it's Tequila Key Lime Pie  (we put out bulls on June 17th and 18th and this was dessert for the crew on Friday),


and my Lemon Meringue Cake is on the menu for branding in a few weeks. All I know is that I've been looking forward to making this pie since I found it on Pinterest. Here's the link Plain Chicken . I've found quite a few keeper recipes on Stephanie's site so if you've a hankering for something new, you might want to poke around there. 😋

I have a recipe for a Frozen Lemonade Pie that I've been making for 30 years that is similar and I'll try to remember to post it when we're sweltering this summer.

And this is a first for me...I bought a bottle of tequila. I questioned my sanity because the recipe only calls for 1 Tablespoon. I thought we had better LOVE this pie because if my calculations are correct, I'll need to make 50 pies or I'll be pinning lots of recipes that include tequila. Too bad we can't invite everyone over for margaritas.😄 I'm sure the recipe would be just fine without it, but I must have been feeling rebellious that day at the grocery store. That's about the extent of my living dangerously lifestyle.


The filling calls for 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. I only had one and the shelves were empty but there was 1 single bottle. I've never seen it packaged like this. Have ya'll?


This recipe also calls for 3/4 C Key Lime juice. I had no idea how many limes I'd need so I just grabbed 18 and it turns out I needed 17. I have this handy dandy citrus juice extractor thingy that does a really good job of juicing those tiny limes.


Tequila Key Lime Pie

Crust
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
1/3 C sugar
6 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon

Filling

8 large egg yolks
2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
3/4 C Key Lime juice
2 Tbsp Key Lime zest
1 Tbsp tequila

Topping

1 1/2 C heavy cream
6 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

*Preheat oven to 350°
*In a medium size bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Press against side and bottom of 9" springform pan. Set aside.
*Whisk together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, lime zest, and tequila. Pour into prepared crust.
*Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely.
*Beat heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spread over pie. Serve.


Verdict: Only 49 more pies to go! Yum!


I just got back from visiting a quilt shop and the ladies there told me that today is National Tequila day.
Who knew? So, I'm going to consider this perfect timing...even though I didn't plan it that way! 😉

5 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

What, no tequila shots for the chef included in your calculations?! The pie looks delicious. Was the milk hard to get out of the bottle? I have difficulty even getting it out of the can.

Libby said...

Yes, the pie does look delicious....I do buy the sweetened condensed milk in the bottle as my Grandaughter squeezes it on pancakes and fruit. "works better that way, Granny".....

And, Granny is going to try the pie ! Thanks for sharing !!!!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The pie looks delicious and who knows if this pandemic doesn't end soon you might need that tequila for medicinal purposes! I have never sweetened condensed milk pkgd like that but will keep a watchful eye out for it.

Michigan Gal said...

Yum! I have never seen the milk bottled that way. Always something new.

The Joyful Quilter said...

The last time I bought condensed milk, that bottle it the way it was packaged. I'm a BIG fan of key lime pie and yours looks very tasty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...