Monday, July 13, 2020

Scrappy Quilter Quilt Shop

When mom was back in the hospital after her fall, I took a few hours one afternoon and ran some errands for her:  bank, post office, car inspection and registration, and low and behold the good Lord put a quilt shop in front of me! 


When I walked in I was greeted by, "May we help you?". The tone was a little cool and wary. I told them I was just in need of a little fabric therapy. They asked me where I was from and they pointed to mom's car. Probably 18 years ago or so, my parents started a support group for the local police department and mom has door signs on her car for the Citizens Police Academy. The ladies thought I was there to check if they were following Covid guidelines as per the governor's regulations. After I assured them that I was not there in any special Covid capacity, and no citizens arrests were imminent, we all had a good laugh. And I'm glad. There is enough distress in the world. I came to de-stress! It's a nice shop, and I loved what they had:


Much of their inventory has been depleted and they too are experiencing shipping delays. They were only closed for 2 weeks as they were deemed 'essential' since they sold mask making supplies. If you were in need of black or navy fabric, the pickins were slim. This is a military town and between that and law enforcement, there has been a big demand for black and navy masks.

I was the only one in the store and I enjoyed exploring the colorful shelves 


and cute projects 



and cozy displays



A good selection of reproduction fabrics:


And Texas pride means that Texas themed projects are always a best seller 


Something for batik fans


And tone on tone options


I was tempted by chickens:


And splurged on these Tilda jelly rolls. I really wanted a Layer Cake, but they don't come in layer cakes so jelly rolls it is- I just loved the soft, vintage colors:


I also bought a good bit of this rustic chicken wire print. I have a Chubby Chick pattern and I've been looking for a background...this'll be perfect:


And I found this multi dot that I may use as a background with this fun gray based floral I found in San Angelo when I stopped and met my SIL on the way down:


I didn't take any pictures at that little shop but I also picked up these 2 prints for a baby quilt there:


I even dug deep and visited some while I poked around although I will be honest and fess up that I am completely and totally peopled out. However, I've been wearing this shirt, washing it often, and reminding myself daily to


13 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Quilt shops are the perfect places to destress. I love the fabric you purchased.

Tammy J said...

Looks like a fun shop. I'd be tempted by a lot there. Black and Navy blue fabric are in a shortage all over, I've heard.

Donna said...

Glad you found a quilt shop; Nothing destresses like petting fabric!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Excellent choices!!!

dflatt said...

I just found your blog and love all your home scenery. I lived in West Texas for quite some time and the scenery looks familiar. Lots of open spaces. Do you watch Power Tools With Thread you tube videos? The Scrappy Quilter is her local quilt shop and says it is wonderful, posts several visits there. She is a world of knowledge, lots of good posts about quilting and embroidery. Becky also has a blog powertoolswiththread.com Have a great day and I hope your mom continues to heal.

Violet said...

"Peopled Out"...I get it! And isn't the Lord so good to put that quilt shop in your path...He knew just what you needed. Hope everything goes well and you can be on your way home soon. Thank you for taking the time to post in the midst of all you have going on...I really appreciate it.

momto1 said...

Prayers for you and your mom, and I’m so glad you took time for your retail therapy. I love hearing about your day-to-day life.

Happy Room Diana said...

Glad your finding some fabric therapy. Hope your Mum soon gets better.

Judy said...

I love Tilda too! I’m sorry your Mom fell. Blessings to her.

Chantal said...

Fabric therapy is the best. It costs less than a psych and no psych comes in so many beautiful print. Love what you got. All the best to your mom. ;^)

Janet O. said...

Glad you got some fabric therapy in!

pbrenner said...

Welcome back to Texas, and I hope your mom recuperates quickly and completely. Scrappy Quilter is a nice shop, and they put together bus trips to the Houston International Quilt Show in the fall - it's a fun way to go to the quilt show and not have to mess with traffic. I suppose the show will be cancelled this year :-( Be safe on your travels!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Am so glad you found a quilt shop (destress shop). Being a caregiver is hard work! It looks like a great shop

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...