Monday, March 16, 2020

New Mouth to Feed

I know that so many have been affected by the changes incurred due to the Coronavirus, but for us, it's business as usual. Agriculture is one area where little changes. This place is 128,000 acres and leaks still need fixing, water still needs to be run, cattle still needs to be fed, equipment still needs to be maintained, and babies still need milk:


It's been a long time since we had a doggie calf, but DH spotted this little fella wandering alone when he was checking and feeding on the north side of the ranch. She was sick so DH doctored her in the pasture and left her there. hoping she'd pair back up with her mama. The next day she was still alone so DH brought her to the house. Our camp man is still out (he's waiting to be scheduled for a CT scan - think he tore his hamstring) so DH's workload had doubled. DH is going back today to look at the cattle in that pasture more closely. Surely there is a tight bagged cow in that bunch, missing her baby so we're praying for a joyous reunion, but for now this little heifer calf will be kept close where we can keep an eye on her. Skeet is on the job:


He's an attentive assistant:


Right now she's not too fond of the bottle:


The orange mark on her forehead is just like a big crayon. DH uses it to mark calves he doctors so that they are easy to spot when he checks on them again when they are integrated with the rest of the herd. We're hoping she'll soon be reunited with her mama, but she's settling in for now:



11 comments:

Donna said...

What a cute calf!!! I hope mamma and baby are United soon!

Dorian said...

Awww, so cute! I hope her momma is found and welcomes her back! Hope you guys stay safe. Have a great day.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Brings back a lot of memories of feeding calves and teaching them to drink out of a bucket.

Sherrill said...

Poor baby lost her mama! I assume 'tight bagged' means she's full of milk? Never personally experienced farm life except to play on my great aunt's farm (she had cows, too) when we'd go up for a visit. She did try to get me to wring a chicken's neck one time but I was having NO part of that!! LOL

kupton52 said...

She's so pretty! And at the risk of embarrassing myself...lololol...I thought what unusual markings she has...bwahahaha....a crayon mark???Looked natural to me!

kupton52 said...

....ps 128,000 acres! Wow! We live on a small 256 acre farm with 8 homes...7 of my husband's siblings have built on the farm which was originally the parent's home! I am impressed that you have time to blog and quilt and do everything else you do.

Violet said...

Thank you for that calm in the middle of the storm. A gentle reminder that God is still in control and at least the WHOLE world isn't turned upside down.

Shepherdess55 said...

I envy you having only one to bottle feed. At the moment, we have 4 bottle lambs. It's a circus until I can get two of them fed.

Chantal said...

Wow! It's a good thing he spotted her among so many cows. Great job! Good luck with her. ;^)

Shelly said...

Poor little baby. We're baby-sitting an orphan from the big ranch at our place right now. His mama dropped dead standing at the hay pile one day, so when they gathered everyone up, we said we'd bring him here to live with our babies, rather than kicking him out with the big herd as an orphan. He was close enough to weaning age that he didn't need a bottle, and we've already got him bunk broke, so I think he'll do fine. I just feel so sorry for him. I hope your little one finds her mama soon.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh so cute! and I hope he finds the momma!
And right - to the work still goes on. My friend is a trucker and he goes into denver to do the grocery runs - he showed us a photo of the traffic... almost none - but he still has to go... ( I asked him to bring eggs ha ha ha)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...