Wednesday, April 15, 2020

VFW Donation Quilt

I hear of so many sewing up masks by the buckets and I feel a tad guilty. I haven't sewn even one yet, but thank you to those of you who are stepping up where there is a need. Between helping DH, tending to the yard, cooking for the crew, waging war on the weeds here at the headquarters, working on getting the garden in, and normal household chores, I haven't even turned on the tv, much less the sewing machine, in weeks. Plus, I'm so sore, I can hardly pick up my tea kettle. 😄 I can't blame it all on helping DH although he sure enough wore me out more than his colt when he had me helping him in the round pen. Post coming soon.

I'll bet ya'll thought I'd never get back to sewing, It's been a while...a dry spell, but that happens around here. A few weeks ago I picked up 4 quilts from Jackie though (curbside service as per our social distancing regulations) and I finally managed to get one bound.


Every time I walk out towards the coop, the chickens come a running thinking they're getting treats

                                       

This quilt is headed to a VFW post in Las Cruces for a fundraiser:


Our boy has spent a lot of time there and he's made some lifetime friendships. With the Covid-19 closings and changes, the support the VFWs provide to veterans is no longer available. They often organize fundraisers and this is one way I can help:


I have a bin dedicated to QOV fabrics and I pulled from it, cutting and stitching lots of HSTs.
I love HSTs for their versatility and this was a pattern I wanted to make since seeing Nancy's a few years back. She blogs over at Wyoming Breezes and this dear lady is a power house when it comes to making beautiful QOV. The pattern is called Stars Over Scott by Jamie Jane Elfert and is offered as a free pattern. I'll definitely be making it again.

Jackie's daughter is a teacher and since the schools are closed, she has been helping Jackie turn out quilts - she quilted this  pattern called Yodel across it:


I backed it with these blue stars that I bought on clearance in Amarillo probably 6 or 7 years ago and I bound it with a blue grunge that matches the outer border:


Even Skeet seemed somber as if he too knew veterans ought to be honored and he might be looking a little sad too because DH was driving off without him.


It is 62" x 74" and I hope it helps a little and pray that it finds it's forever home with the veteran it belongs to

                                                

12 comments:

Dorian said...

Don't be too hard on yourself over the masks Karin, those of us living outside of town have life a little differently. I don't even know if my hospital/etc would need masks, as we are so very Blessed that the cases around here are so few. Thats a gorgeous quilt! Great job on it.

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I really LOVE that one! I've got a QOV waiting that needs to go to the longarmer! This one might just have to be next on my list. I think Skeet's expression in only one of an 'aw mom' because he's made to sit still for a few minutes (which doesn't seem to happen much in his day).

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful finish for a worthy cause! Thanks for sharing the pattern link, too.

Janna and Mike said...

Don't feel guilty about masks--I only sewed some for friends and family who no access to "real" ones. Your quilts are lovely. I have some of my own projects I am going to finally load onto the longarm--once I get these masks shipped off this morning!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is an awesome one! and so pretty! Love the photos with the chickens and Skeet! hes a keeper. its really interesting how the Things that help people are sheltered - it worries me, I have been making a lot of calls to my Veterans.... just to see if talking helps. So good for you for helping out in the fundraiser - totally needed!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The quilt is beautiful and going to such an honorable cause. Skeet, why he's just been respectful! One thing about ranch/farm life, the work goes on no matter what is happening in the world.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The pattern looks wonderful in red, white, and blue! I printed the pattern last month and thought I’d make another one. You’ve convinced me I need to make it in patriotic colors.

Donna said...

Love your QOV! I hope it brings lots of money at the fund raiser! Yes Skeet does look sad and solemn!

Judy said...

Your quilt is wonderful! It’s a wonderful cause. I haven’t made any masks, but supplied fabric to my daughter and daughter in law to make them. Bless you for your giving to our men and women in uniform. Nice pictures.

Shelly said...

It's a lovely quilt, and will make a great quilt for a veteran! Great choice of pattern for it. Don't fret over the masks. I've only made about 7 (for me and My Cowboy and my daughters). The lockdown hasn't changed my job (or life) very much at all (much like you), thank God, so I'm still working and have the same schedule I did have (minus the travel, which I'm kinda glad about!), so I don't have much time for mask making. I also got immediately overwhelmed by all the different styles and patterns and ties and lack of elastic and arguments over whether they work or not, and which ones are better, blah, blah, blah, so I just decided to save myself that stress. I couldn't deal. And right now, downstairs, I have a dog that looks much like Skeet -- she didn't get to go down to the woods with the other dogs this afternoon!

Lindah said...

That really is a beautiful quilt!!!

Natasha said...

I was gonna say the same as dorie! When everyday normal life involves farms ranches and other ag lifestyle, the new normal is not much different. Gardens need planting, weeds pulled, chicks fed. Love the pic of yout flock with the beautiful quilt! Mine come running for treats too :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...