Sunday, September 27, 2020

Jungle Baby Quilt

 Today I'm sharing a little quilt that began with a fat quarter about 2 years ago:

I only had one fat quarter and I just didn't have the heart to cut it up so I hemmed and hawed about how best to showcase the cute jungle babies .

I didn't use a pattern - just pulled coordinating fabrics from my stash for inspiration and that led to the patchwork border. I am always drawn to simple patchwork and I really do like what it does here:

Now that it's quilted, I wish I had added a small brown border around the fat quarter, but all in all, I like the simple design and will use it again.

I used this paw print for a backing because the colors coordinated so well with the front and bound it with a textured brown print from my stash:

The patchwork border really is a mess of everything that would work and that cheddar is even a reproduction print. Jackie quilted the cutest monkeys on it:


It's 48" x 48" and I'm pretty tickled with how that simple fat quarter was transformed into a fun, happy quilt:

12 comments:

Donna said...

You quilt is so cute! I have some large print fabrics that are perfect for baby quilts that I will have to remember to cut something similar!

Dorian said...

Adorable Karin! That is just perfect for show casing the cute jungle print. Great job.

Violet said...

Man, you know a lot of people that need baby quilts. I've never made one. I couldn't even make one for my grandkids because my daughter wouldn't allow "blankets" in their cribs due to the suffocation possibility. Shoot, my kids had blankets, stuffed animals and bumpers all around their cribs! I think it's illegal to have bumpers now too. Good grief.

Sherrill said...

What a great idea! Don't think I ever would've thought to do that but it's genius and turned out so cute.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

LOVE how you made that piece your focus!! very nice!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s adorable! I love the colors, the fabrics, and the quilted monkeys.

Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com said...

It is a great little quilt. Yes, a narrow brown border would have looked good around the center cute print, but the quilt is so cute even without it that it is good without the brown border. I really love the pieced border. How did you figure how to do the triangles that are surrounding the center? I don't know how to make them to fit the rest. I have a few panels and other pieces of fabric that I am going to make into a quilt. It makes me nervous to go out on my own without a pattern.

Janet O. said...

Another winning baby quilt. Such a great way to feature a cute fabric.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Such a happy little quilt!! I love what you find in your stash!!!

Joanne W said...

What a great idea for a piece of fabric that doesn't want to be cut up into little pieces.

sandi s said...

It’s a wonderful quilt! Some little one will enjoy it. Hugs,

Theona said...

Cute, cute, cute! I, too, love the monkey quilting as it adds another touch of interest and fun. Somebody special will snuggle in with that quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...