Wednesday, September 30, 2020

The Bear Necessities Toddler Quilt

 Anyone else singing that song from the Jungle Book after reading the title of this post? I sang it a lot while making this quilt. I can't even remember how long I've had this fabric, but I made my first quilt in 2008 and I'm pretty sure I had this fabric before then. 

I may be mistaken, but either way, I had stashed it away, knowing it would eventually find it's way into a quilt. I had a lot of it, probably 3 yards or so and a few years ago I made this quilt and gave it to a sweet couple who are friends with our girl and who we've known since the kids were in 4-H. 

I knew I wanted to make another quilt and I settled on an Irish Chain pattern. I used gingham prints from a western line:

Once I handed it off to Jackie, she quilted these darling teddy bears across it:

And I just had to use the same print for the backing, finishing it off with the red gingham for binding: 

Teddy Bears from my childhood were unearthed from storage for a photoshoot: 

According to my calculations, this is the 100th quilt I've made. Right now I think it's absolutely my favorite timeless little quilt and at 48 x 64, I think it'll be perfect for a future grandchild...if the good Lord ever sees fit to bless us with any. LOL


But these sweet, classic bears will never go out of style:

7 comments:

Dorian said...

Awww so sweet Karin. Any child would love that for sure. Hope you are all well. Have a great day!

Violet said...

Don't give up on the grandchildren. Our daughter said she would never marry a military man and definitely did not want any children. She married an army helicopter pilot and we have a 3-year old granddaughter and 5-year old grandson. She was older...and so were we, when she had the grandson. But, I'm still hopeful I might get to see a great-grandchild at some point! Congratulations on your 100th quilt.

Theona said...

You're right, it is timeless (and sweet). I love it!

Sherrill said...

Very cute and love the shot of your childhood bears. That kind of stuff wasn't saved in my family..sigh. I guess I thought your son had a boy but I must've been mistaken. I only have 1 (and will only have 1) but she'll be 24 this month and no time for a grandma.

Cotton Blossom said...

That is so adorable I can bearly stand it :) I always admire your cleaver quilts. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

Judy said...

Your quilt is adorable!! Grandchildren are the Best thing about getting old. The times we are living in can be a reason not to have children. I am thankful you live in the country. I wish I did.

Shelly said...

So cute! Great pattern choice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...