Saturday, September 19, 2020

'Tis Apple Season

 On Wednesday, I made a quick road trip with DH to haul some cattle to the sale barn (not the one where I work). 


It's 2 hours there. Two hours back. And we're back home by noon. Heck around here that means you can get in another 8 hours of working. Grin. Actually, the days are getting shorter and it's pretty darn dark by 7:30 these days. And that's just fine and dandy with me because most days, I'm pooped by then.

On Thursday, I popped back into the truck and headed to a little mountain town to meet up with my in-laws and bring home a box of Jonathon apples. I really wanted to pick them, but my in-laws are past the stage where they think that's fun so a box I got. Years ago it was an annual tradition to pick apples when we lived in the mountains:

I was tempted to get 2 boxes, but I knew I'd struggle to get them both put up in a timely manner with all of the things on our calendar at the moment. So one box will suffice...plus half a box of Honey Crisp Apples because those are DH's favorite. Dried apples are a fall favorite so that was the first order of business when I got back to the house:

I had men to feed on Friday as we were branding a small bunch (just 40 hd) so apple pie was a given for dessert:

And although there will be multiple batches of dried apples, the rest will be put up in the deep freeze for future apple pies, as well as a batch of apple sauce for the pantry shelves:

Maybe I should have gotten that 2nd box!


12 comments:

Dorian said...

Yummy Karin. Glad you got in some apples... you can always go back and get another ;) Have a great day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

YUM!!! Friends and I went to an apple orchard a couple of years ago. It was interesting to see how the trees are pruned. I enjoyed sampling the exotic varieties they had on hand, along with apple ice cream (and an apple turnover for the road.)

Sherrill said...

Mmmm, they look so good!! The dried sound so good for snacking, apple pie the best! I guess you're never idle! HA Bet those boys were happy you picked up at least that one box.

Chantal said...

Wow! Your apples are so red. My youngest and I went apple picking yesterday. I told him that it was too bad that he is now too heavy to climb the tree and get the best apples at the top of the tree. We laughed at the memories this brought back. It was a tradition in our family too for many years. I have to bake and make apple sauce too. The house smells so good. ;^)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Jonathan apples are by far my favorite and so difficult to find anymore which makes them even more of a treat when I do find them. Honey Crisps are tasty, too.

Natasha said...

Lovely apples and fall works. It is apple season here as well, though mine wont be ready to pick until october. Other varieties are coming off the trees and going into the dehydrator. This week it was pears from our trees and making pear chutney.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

It's apple time here, too! Just finished the peaches, but the apples should be here soon. We have a Mennonite store nearby and they pick up the apples in south Missouri. Lots of apple butter to make for Christmas gifts. Those apples in the dehydrator will make a good snack!!

Carol said...

Would you tell me where you picked the apples? I will be in New Mexico beginning next weekend for about a week and if it's anywhere close to where we will be (Santa Fe/Las Vegas area) or driving to/from Texas I would like to pick. Apples fresh off the tree just are so much better than the grocery store.

Judy Laquidara said...

Honey Crisp are my favorites too. Having those apples put up will be so nice, though it’s a lot of work at the time.

Janet O. said...

You have named the two most popular apple varieties in my family, Jonathan and Honey Crisp.
I believe you are the Energizer Bunny!!

Ruth said...

Oh my, reminds me that I am nearly finished eating the jar of apple slices I dehydrated in 1998 or 1999 in NH. The kids didn't like them because they didn't stay crisp. But they are great cooked with oatmeal and raisins.

Shelly said...

They look beautiful! Our neighbors gave us some apples from their trees, and they went straight into an Apple Crisp!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...