Sunday, October 4, 2020

Life Gets Busy

 Sometimes...even in the middle of a pandemic...life gets busy. And just in case we look back on this time and think we really didn't do anything, I wanted to have proof in a post that that in fact...is NOT the case. LOL.

Friday night, I got back from visiting my mom in Texas. I was away for 10 days. I told her to keep a list of things I could do for her and I sawed my way through that list:

Many of you have inquired about her (thank you). She is doing remarkably well, considering that the Sarcoma has now metastasized into her lungs. I went down to be with her for scans and appointments and her first immuno-therapy treatment. She will have 2 more, 3  weeks apart, and then another round of scans. So, I'll go back down again then. Right now she is not in pain and feeling good. I'm so grateful that she is still able to be independent for the most part. She has a care giver 4 hours a day - 5 days a week who takes her to appointments and runs errands and her huge never-ending tribe of friends are always in and out. Plus, she still cooks and feeds the neighbors.

I had rented a car so we returned that on Friday night after my 9 hour road trip. It was close to dark by the time we got home and began to tend to evening chores. 

I saw a skunk. 

And then Skeet saw a skunk. 


So Skeet is banished from the house until I can find time to de-skunk him. That, in turn, means that I will need a de-skunking as well. He came running to me for sympathy immediately, but I scolded him away and his poor feelings were hurt. I wanted to console him, but then I too would have been banished from the house. 😉

 Then we were out the door by 5 Saturday morning, headed to a state sectional pistol championship 2 hours away in Clovis. It was supposed to be in the 80s and nice, but it was 46 when we arrived and the wind BLEW hard. Non-stop. All.Day. Long. 


Add to that, the fact the dirt there is like baby powder. Oh what fun! I told DH I was a fair-weather wife because after he shot a station and I helped him clean his mags by insuring the parts did not blow away,



 I trudged back to sit in the truck until it was time for his squad to move to the next station. I added a few stitches on a binding while in between stages

                                   

 and I had packed a lunch so we dined on sandwiches and apples and carrots on shop towels...without grit. 🤗 Almond M&Ms for dessert. 😉


I scribbled a tentative menu on the back of an envelope while we were en route as we are weaning next week and I'll be cooking for a crew of 10-12 Tuesday through Saturday. So that meant I had a grocery store run to make on Sunday morning and when I ran back into the house for a second, I came back to find this:


Poor Skeet. He's never done that before. Evidently he'd had enough of me being gone and DH said this was his way of saying, "Enough. No way are you leaving me again!"

4 hours and $500.00 later, I was home, getting things put up and starting on dinner and dessert for Tuesday because we are looking at another 12-14 hour day at the sale barn tomorrow and after a 4 a.m. breakfast on Tuesday, I have a date to take a steer to the processing plant in Ft. Sumner....a 4 hour round trip, which puts me home at 9 and dinner for 12 is needed at 11.

So, anyone ready to sign up to be a ranch wife yet? LOL.

12 comments:

Sherrill said...

Oh my GOSH!! I don't know HOW you do it all! I'd be a really pathetic ranch wife if I was ever one at all (which I won't be). So had Skeet been de-skunked when he got in your car, I hope? HA That would be awful; poor pup!

Janna and Mike said...

And I thought my life was busy at times--you've got me beat! Poor pooch--Emmi hates it when I'm gone. So sorry to hear about your mom's cancer metastasizing--I will keep you both in my prayers.

Nancy said...

I have been watching a program on YouTube. Absolute History - just finished the Tutor Monastery Farm, I previously watched the Victorian Farm and the Edwardian Farm. I was just telling my husband that even with Covid-19 I will take 2020 as I am basically very lazy and am glad I didn’t live then.
Your schedule sounds like the kind of work most farm wives do. Glad I am not one of them.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Regarding your question...

Umm... No, thanks!! I believe ranch wife is above my pay grade.

Donna said...

Your life is always so busy!!! You do more by noon then most people do in a day! Glad your mother is doing well and is still able to be home. Poor Skeet! I hope he smells better soon!

Dorian said...

LOL, you are going to be one busy Lady!! I'm glad your Mom is doing ok. Take a deep breath (but not too close to skeet!) and get going! lol Have a great day.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Poor Skeet... I came home saturday night to a baby skunk playing with a baby kittie... that was strange... looks like you are at least staying out of trouble ha ha

Unknown said...

Our vet told us to bathe our "skunked" dogs in tomato juice. It works

Anonymous said...

Glad your Mom is doing ok. Poor Skeet looks like he wants/needs some lovin! Such a cutie.

Twyla said...

We used many over the counter fixes to skunk odor. None of them touched the ordor. Baking soda and Dawn liquid detergent worked the best. Tomato juice was a waste of T.M.juice. Took about 6 weeks for odor to completely go away. Good luck with skeet. Sorry to hear your mom's news but, glad she is able to stay at home. There is no place like home.

Shelly said...

I hear you. The busy never stops, no matter what else is happening. We got a load of bad feed, and had to completely empty our grain bin and clean out the inside before we could order more. We wanted to move the cattle to another pasture, but we have to wait for rain to get the pond to turn over so they'll have good drinking water. We need to trim and de-worm the goat herd. I've been doctoring baby kittens. I feel so sorry for poor Skeet getting sprayed by a skunk. Skeeter used to do that, too, and then would wonder why we wouldn't pet her for 2 weeks! We never once gave that dog a bath, and she would eventually de-skunk herself. Hard to believe she's been gone over a year already. And our last farm dog got ran over in the road last Sunday by a neighboring farmer's field hand, so other than the hunting beagles, we're dog-poor around here. We've been having long discussions about whether we even want to get another one. It's too heartbreaking, but a ranch without a dog is . . . . . hmmmmm. I don't envy you the early mornings and all that cooking! I have a hard enough time of that with just the two of us! haha!

Claire Lonergan said...

de skunk recipe:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide 3%
1 teaspoon dish soap
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

mix well, apply to dog, rub in well. Rinse

from a rural mum of 4 dogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...