Monday, March 8, 2021

Just When I Thought I'd Sneak in Some Time to Sew

 ...things got crazy.

DH had saddled up on Tuesday afternoon and trailered out to ride through some cows. I was folding laundry when I heard him come back in and met him in the dining room. He looked at me, but didn't say anything for a minute. After 34 years of marriage, I knew something was up so I asked 2 questions: What happened? And how can I help? Thankfully, he was ok. The kids are fine. His parents are well. And Skeet is as happy as ever. His reply, "Things just got crazy."

Due to the drought, we've had to sell a lot of cows, but we still had about 450 hd of Corrientes (roping cattle) to sell.  We started raising these 20 years ago when we were in Texas and due to a drought (again) we could no longer raise beef cattle. We have since added beef cattle back and now raise both. DH has worked hard and built an exceptional program, producing outstanding roping cattle. 

The thing is, folks want them cheap. So, even though we really needed to sell them last Fall, due to drought conditions, and lots of folks wanted them, the owner just wouldn't let them go for what we were being offered. He knew these cattle were not your run of the mill Corrientes. We weren't advertising and we don't do social media so word of mouth is the only way to market them. I knew once the right people knew, we'd have a deal so I prayed. And prayers were answered so now we're scrambling. One fellow was coming Thursday to look at some of the cattle, but he didn't think he'd want all of them and he wanted to pick through them. Then another guy we've dealt with in the past ( he's actually a UPS driver in Montana) called and said he'd put us in touch with someone who was interested in the cows. That someone, knew someone who had bought our calves in the past and said they were the best calves they ever had and this new fella wanted all the cows we had...on Friday. So DH set about scheduling the brand inspector, the vet, trucks, and a crew to help. Also needed to push back another hay delivery since DH was going to be busy and he's the only one that can coerce the ancient tractor into doing his biding. If I unloaded the hay...well let's just not go there. 


And then, the original interested party was crushed and devastated and he was desperate to make a deal (his words). He ended up calling the gentleman who DID buy the cattle and making a deal with him. LOL. More changes for the health papers and truck destinations. DH is stressed and relieved at the same time, but until they're all shipped, relieved is on the back burner.

So, all that to say that I'm back in the kitchen cooking for the crew and making yes, you guessed it, more cookies. LOL. Apple Pie was out of the oven by 6 a.m. on Thursday morning. I crammed as many apples as I could in there so it's kind of lumpy looking...LOL

I fixed two bottles for the babies, splurging on handy dandy bottle holders the last time I was at the farm store:


And came back to the house to start on dinner. Instant Pot BBQ Swiss Steak, mashed potatoes, rolls, and green beans. Apple Pie and ice cream for dessert.

When I got up at 2:30 Thursday morning I noticed sparks and an odd glow outside the bedroom window, above the transformer east of the house. DH called the co-op and they came out at 8. Apparently the cut out (fuse holder) had been fried. He performed a temporary fix and said they'd be back out with a permanent fix and a  bigger truck in a day or two. 

My kitchen is a busy place:

On Friday I fixed Cornpone Pie, taquitos, corn, salad, beer battered jalapenos, and salsa. Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert.

I worked the special Angus sale on Saturday, but we made time and enjoyed a quiet evening watching The American (a rodeo) that night.  DH and I were making a plan for Sunday and DH had as list. I said, "But it's Sunday." His reply, "It's a day for catching up." I chuckled, "No, the Lord designed it as a day of rest." Alas, when critters are depending on you, tend to them you must, but we did make time to kick back and watch part of the short go of The American.

And I did sew a few stitches on Sunday, but I was just plumb wore out and didn't make much progress. I'm working on an old Moda Bakeshop project using a well seasoned Jelly Roll:

And today I'm back at the Sale Barn. Hoping to wrap things up early enough for me to make a mad dash through the grocery store. We're shipping out more of the cows and calves so I'll have a crew on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday again. After all is said and done, we'll have shipped out 9 loads of Corrientes.

I've got taxes to tend to on Friday and another trip to Texas HAS to happen at some point. I've also got a conference call scheduled and DH needs to be a part of it. I laughed when I was trying to pin down a day and time with the office manager. No, that day won't work....we're shipping out cows... gathering Chuckbox... processing calves... moving cattle...I told her we could make any day work as long as it was before 6 a.m. and after 7 p.m.. Unfortunately, financial advisors don't keep ranchers hours. LOL.

12 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin! Lol, you know the saying...when it rains it pours. So glad you got buyers for the cattle at decent pricing. A lumpy apple pie is a good apple pie ;) Hope you find a few minutes to rest and recoop. Have a lovely day.

Janna and Mike said...

I will stop complaining about being too busy--WHEW--you guys are very busy!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well Heck fire - when things get a little crazy... haha - I am thinking you might want to re think the term crazy... that sounds nuts too!! Glad you got a good buyer, and I am praying for rain for you!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I’m guessing as crazy as life has been, at the end of the long day, it’s satisfying to see what you’ve accomplished.

I got a chuckle from your last paragraph.

Bonnie F. said...

I am not used to making comments, but after reading your blog this morning I read the next email. It is so appropriate to your message today that I had to share it with you. No credit was given.

A story of a visiting pastor who attended a men's breakfast in the middle of a rural farming area of the country. The group had asked an older farmer, decked out in bib overalls, to say grace for the morning breakfast :
"Lord, I hate buttermilk," the farmer began.
The visiting pastor opened one eye to glance at the farmer and wonder where this was going.
The farmer loudly proclaimed, "Lord, I hate lard."
Now the pastor was growing concerned.
Without missing a beat, the farmer continued, "And Lord, you know I don't much care for raw white flour."
The pastor once again opened an eye to glance around the room and saw that he wasn't the only one to feel uncomfortable.
Then the farmer added, "But Lord, when you mix them all together and bake them, I do love warm fresh biscuits. So Lord, when things come up that we don't like, when life gets hard, when we don't understand what you're saying to us, help us to just relax and wait until you are done mixing. It will probably be even better than biscuits. Amen."
Within that prayer there is great wisdom for all when it comes to complicated situations like we are experiencing in the world today. Stay strong my friends, because our life is being mixed with lots of things that we don't care for.......relax and wait until the mixing is done...................

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love the twin calf feeders!! Busy life for a ranch wife. Good to see that you two are well, even if meeting yourselves coming and going. Take care!!

Shelly said...

I hear you on how crazy things can get. Sometimes, everything seems to happen at once! And I'm also with your DH sometimes: Sunday is a day for catching up. I have to consciously force myself to take a day off, and even then, I feel guilty about it, leaving things undone and waiting. You've made me hungry for apple pie! We got in a load of hay this past week, too. It's an all-day affair to go get it, get it loaded, bring it home, get it unloaded, ad nauseam . . . and your schedule sounds like My Cowboy trying to make a doctor's appointment! Between moving/hauling cattle (and goats), building fence, taking the horse to the farrier, scheduling feed and hay and fuel deliveries, doctoring animals, doing chores, etc. -- who has time to go to the dang doctor???

Chantal said...

Never again will I complain I'm busy. lol. Glad you were able to sell the cows. Still praying for rain in your corner of the world. ;^)

Sherrill said...

Good grief! After reading your post and some of the comments above, I feel like a total bum!! HA And that's actually kinda right! What I'm wondering is do you have any cows left (aside from the two bottle babies)? I'm betting you two really need a few minutes down time..not sure when but really!
LOL

Violet said...

I tip my chef's hat to you...well, I would if I had one. I struggle every day to drag myself into the kitchen to cook dinner for just the two of us! You put me to shame! There is a scripture in Proverbs that says a righteous man cares for the needs of his animals. It's obvious through your writings, to me at least, that you and your husband genuinely care for your animals. God answered your prayers and your cattle are sold. Looking forward to seeing that new quilt...love Moda Bake Shop.

Donna said...

What a busy life you have!!! Your apple pie looks so yummy!!! I am in the process of making that same Moda pattern! It’s going to be my leaders and enders. Hope life slows down for you soon!

Ruth said...

At least the cattle are all standing still for the photograph... Oh, that lemon meringue pie looks good! I have lemons in the fridge, and eggs. Maybe I will treat myself today. That old farmer's prayer is pretty much true. Just have to wait on the Lord's time.
Best Wishes on the cooking, the ranching, the estate work, the calves, and so on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...