Monday, March 22, 2021

Under The Needle Update

 I used to be good about posting what was under my needle each month, but it's been a long time since I've had anything to share. However, I've been able to sneak in and out of my sewing room in small 5 minute increments. I'm still cooking for the crew, but we've eliminated breakfasts for them and that frees up some time. I may still cook breakfast for them on occasion when we brand, but in all honesty, after 35 years of making breakfast for the crew, this old body is not missing those 2-3 a.m. wake-up calls. This weekend DH and I fed, put out a lot of hay, and the babies are still being fed twice a day, but the fridge was full of leftovers so I didn't have to cook and DH checked water and sorted some cows, leaving me behind...so I spent some time in my sewing room.

I finished piecing the Moda Bakeshop Sweet Menagerie Jelly Roll top. 

And worked on piecing the back with the leftovers and some coordinating fabrics from my stash:

I also worked on piecing these blocks I worked on last year, into rows:

I'm using a Biscuits and Gravy Jelly Roll from a few years ago. I fell in love with the red main print and I think this pattern is a fun way to showcase it.

My bin of blue fabrics has really gotten out of control. In fact, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have 2 bins so in an attempt to make a dent in the overflow, I've been searching for a scrappy quilt pattern. I found it in Bonnie Hunter's Winter Blues:

I love the concept of her scrap users system, but it doesn't really work for the way I sew although if I have a small bit left, I will cut a 2 1/2" strip or a 5" square. I hate to strip things down when I may need a 5" strip or a 8" square. I never really know how I'm going to use my fabrics so it made more work and I've got a lot of cutting of 1 1/2" strips to do, but it was fun sorting through my bins and revisiting the various prints:

I haven't pulled my neutrals yet and I don't have a whole lot of those, but I've got  lots of blue 16-patches to stitch and I hope I'll be able to consolidate my blues into a single bin. Hope springs eternal!

I'll admit that two thoughts ran through my head while I was cutting:

1: Where on earth did all of this fabric come from?

2. I will never need to buy fabric again.

I hear you laughing. But honestly, I'm just not sewing enough to justify all this fabric and even if I sewed every day, I'd never use it all. Not even close. 

I'm still cutting, but I really felt the need to stitch so the strips are piling up:

and happy little blue blocks are beginning to appear:

My SIL and I were talking the other day and she said we needed to have all this fabric so we'd have enough to keep us busy when we retire. A bit later she said she couldn't wait to see this blue quilt finished. I replied, "Don't hold your breath. At the rate I'm sewing, it probably won't be finished until we retire. Come to think of it, ranchers don't ever really retire so I don't think there's any danger of ever sewing up my stash. And I think I'm going to keep looking for blue scrappy quilt ideas because this isn't going to make much of a dent in what I have. 

I'm also binding this baby quilt:


And I picked up the Safari quilt I made for us a few years ago from Jackie last Monday. I usually make the binding before I hand the top off to her, but I neglected to do that so I made the binding yesterday. A scrappy binding would have been fun, but I'm using this print because it's what I have:

 I guess the drought has extended to my stitching as well as the pastures, but it feels good to be working on something again and God's still working so I'm still praying.

13 comments:

Donna said...

I love your menagerie quilt!!! The colors and fabric are gorgeous!!! Glad you are getting some quilting in! A couple of weeks ago I was looking at all my fabric and thought I am never going to be able to sew all this; made me sad!

julieQ said...

I am praying too, for water falling from the sky, for you all!!! Such pretty fabrics and blocks you ae working with!

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, So glad you've found some time here and there to get some stitching in. Looks like some nice quilts you're making, looking forward to the finishes, whenever they show up ;) have a great day!

Violet said...

I also appreciate Bonnie's scrap user system but am afraid I will need bigger pieces and hate to strip everything down. I have a hard time making scrappy quilts anyway...I'm always trying to arrange the scraps so they look coordinated! I think we all go through sewing dry spells. I know I did for about 6 weeks but we eventually get back to it. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Deanna said...

Off to a blue-tiful start!

Theona said...

So thankful that God is in control and sees the big picture. I can trust that He's in charge, especially when the world seems (is) lopsided.

Lovely quilts and quilts-to-be!

Anonymous said...

Try looking at Quilted Twins for more scrappy patterns for your blues. I think you will be pleased.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I agree with Anonymous that Quilted Twins has some nice scrap patterns.

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns.htm

Shepherdess55 said...

Anonymous beat me in suggesting Quilted Twins. She's posted about her Upcycled Blues series and has written patterns for most of the quilts. You can see the pertinent blog posts here:

https://blog.quiltedtwins.com/search?q=Upcycled+blues

Sherrill said...

Ooo, love those blues! That'll be a beauty, some day. HA!! Years before DH passed, I'd always say I was buying fabric for retirement. OMG! I have enough fabric for about 25 retirements and it kinda makes me ill. Ugh I'm trying to finish 5 or 6 large quilts for donation but they won't make a dent. I'm tryin' though. You make REAL good use of your time (I need to do a better job of that!).

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Heck fire - you have some awesome projects!! I always tell my husband I have to live until the fabric is stitched up! and he says at this rate I am looking at 200!! ha ha! Your blues quilt is going to be amazing!!

Shelly said...

I've been contemplating that Winter Blues quilt, too, just to use up some blues, but like you, I'm sure it won't make near the dent in my stash that I'm expecting it to.

Kara Kwilts said...

I just love Bonnie Hunter patterns, but I always draft the pattern up to a size that I have lots of strips in (usually 2&1/2 inch strips). Then I usually don't put them on point either. (I don't like making 1/2 blocks) Goodness, it is a good thing she doesn't get offended by my vision of her quilt, even if she did, it is her problem :) I do it my way. I bought the pattern so I can change it if it suits my needs. I don't like making thousands of tiny blocks, it takes too long to get a quilt done.
Hugs!!! Kara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...