Monday, January 31, 2022

For the Love of Cast Iron

 I have a tiny kitchen and space is at a premium so any kitchen tools have to earn their spot. I didn't always have a little kitchen, but no matter the size, my cast iron will always have a place. When DH and I married, I didn't know how to cook. I received a set of nonstick pots and pans as a wedding gift, but the real gift came from DH when he came home with a couple of pieces of Wagner cast iron from a little store in town. He had one skillet from his college days that's still part of our collection.We also have several Dutch ovens that are favorites for cooking over a fire. DH went through a sourdough stage and every morning we would wake up to fresh sourdough bread baked in those Dutch ovens. Mmmm!  Through the years, we added a few pieces from Lodge and this year DH bought me some pieces from Smithey:

Can one be smitten with a skillet?

American made? Yes, please!

He also bought me that gorgeous cutting board in the middle of the picture. It's too pretty to use, but I'm mustering up the courage. Some wives might scowl at a gift of cast iron and a cutting board, but this gal is plumb tickled and feeling pretty spoiled.

Until now, I've just stacked the skillets in the cupboard, but I've always wanted a place to hang them. Anyone who uses cast iron knows how heavy they are and there really isn't any wall space in this kitchen. The only available spot is a 3' wall that had a wooden shelf on it with hooks where we hung our keys, a few aprons, and things like my rolling pin, plus my grocery list. The light switch is there and there's a hole in the wall where the phone used to be. 

DH is very handy and he built a rack last weekend.

 He used some metal he bought years ago (to make horseshoes) and some welding rod for the hooks. 

It's perfect and everything is so accessible! There's a lot of weight hanging on that rack, but DH has it bolted in 6 places with 3" bolts - the bottom skillet on the left is 15" and probably weighs about 30#.

Please ignore that awful paneling. This old ranch house is in need of some TLC, but it's more important to me that our home is filled with love and I choose to focus on that instead of the sad paneling. One of these days I'll get it painted, but for now I just grin every time I walk by and rest assured, I am busy breaking in the newest members of my kitchen family.

Everything truly DOES taste better cooked in cast iron and between that and the grill and smoker, we're eating very well around here. 

14 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin! Ohh, I love cast iron too and I love the rack your dh made as well. It looks great with that paneling, btw ;) hope all is well with you and yours.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I have several cast iron skillets and a kettle too. I LOVE them. I bought my son a large skillet and he loves it too. He's asked me if he can inherit all my cast iron cookware when I can't lift them anymore. Happy cooking!

Sherrill said...

Oh stop!! You're making me hungry! LOL I've never cooked in cast iron but have always heard how fabulous it is. What a wonderful gift for you (the pans and the great rack!).

Barbara said...

When I was first married, my mother-in-law suggested that I add some cast iron to my registry as all I had down was the then-popular Revere Ware. I remember saying to her "Why do I want that heavy, ugly stuff?" Fast forward 10 years and I realized the error of my ways. I'm now the proud owner of several cast iron skillets and a Dutch oven that I've used for at least 30 years.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your DH is definitely a keeper! Can't image a kitchen without cast iron--we have a skillet which has been in the family for generations!

Valerie said...

I have the same Smithey pieces. Love that Farmhouse skillet!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I live in Charleston SC and didn’t know about Smithey Ironware Company! I will have to check them out. Those might make good wedding presents. The generation getting married now tends to prefer practical things over china etc. I try to remember to use my cast iron more often.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I gave my cast iron skillet and my Mom’s CI skillet and grill to my nephew when I moved. The apartment stove is a glass top, and the cast iron would scratch it too much.

Marie said...

Oh Karin, I too use cast iron. I have five that set on top of my gas stove all the time. And I have not only my Mom's dutch oven, but also her square skillet, and my Grandma's small Lodge pan and a larger pan with its lid. Its not as large as a dutch oven but I love to use it when popping corn for my popcorn balls.

Shelly said...

I love all my cast iron pieces. And that paneling . . . I was thinking "that's a really cool wall they're hanging on!" It's not sad at all! WE have some sad paneling here, that is slowly all getting torn out or covered with paint.

Theona said...

I've always heard wonderful things about cast iron skillets but have not made the leap. One day. Maybe. ;)

Anonymous said...

Karen I would love to see a post on how you season and care for your cast iron.

Angela Waldroup said...

I LOVE having my cast iron hanging where I can see it all of the time . Many of my pieces were from my grandfather . My 19 year old grand-daughter has been cooking with them also . She loves it so much that I gave her some of her own for when she has her own place!

barbara woods said...

I can't make cornbread without my cast iron!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...