Friday, January 28, 2022

Looking For My Sewing Groove

 I've been off to a slow start this year. I just can't seem to get in a groove. Some extra long days at the Sale Barn. A few days of feeling under the weather - flu, cold...something that really left me feeling zapped and then 2 days in a row of trips to town for memorial services plus some overnight company a few days later. 

Before I get into today's post, I wanted to answer a recent question from a reader. I have no way of contacting her so I thought I'd answer her question here.

 I want to say how much I have enjoyed your blog. I was partly raised on my Uncle's farm when I was just a little. Now into my seventies. I have a large ufo pile needing backings. A round 12 tops. Most are for charity but backing fabric has gotten so expensive that they have sat. Your post mentions that you need to make backings, Could you elaborate on how you do that. Thank you.

 Firstly, thank you for your kindness - I hope your memories of your time on your uncle's farm brings back fond memories. 

As for the quilt backings - I agree, fabric certainly has gotten expensive! I tend to either work from my stash or look for good sales. Even my stash fabrics have mostly been acquired via sales. A few years back, I discovered a sweet quilt shop in a little town in Texas. I'd always stop when I passed through. Their fabrics were always between $5.00 - $7.00 and when they closed, I bought bolts and bolts for $2.33/yd. I just piece 2 or 3 widths together for backings. If I don't have enough of one fabric, I will often use 2 or more fabrics that coordinate. I just pieced a backing yesterday for this quilt top that's been hanging around for a few years:

I was determined to use this fabric

But I didn't have enough so I pulled something from my stash that I thought would work and pieced a backing:

I once thought quilt backings had to be one fabric and if I have enough, I will still do that, but I found that scrappy backings are fun too!

 So, as for today's post - it didn't take long for me to veer off course. After posting my list of projects I hope to work on this year, I just kept walking past my sewing room. Yesterday I finally sewed a little, but I started working on something that wasn't even on my list. I made a laundry bag for our girl using the Lined Drawstring Bag pattern

I couldn't resist this canvas print:

I'll bet I've made close to 100 of these bags in various sizes through the years. I'm probably dangerously close to being known as the bag lady, although cookie lady would be ok too. 😉

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I also thought backings should be the same fabric with minimum seams. So I will take your advice and patch together several fabrics to attempt backings for those charity quilts sitting there. I really enjoy your blog and look forward to see what a ranch wife does.
Margaret Lancaster aka Sewnmarge73@gmail.com

Elle said...

Dear unknown,

This is a great way to get low cost wide backings. I don't care for piecing them but then, I finish 30-50 quilts a year.

https://marshalldrygoods.com/shop/fabrics/filter/108-inch-mdg-classics-by-the-bundle/

If you get on their mailing list, you'll get notice of sales on these already low prices. Do note there is a buy retail button at the top. If you click on it you will get price by the yard. On that page you will see a buy bulk/wholesale button that takes you back to bundles and bolts.

Happy finishing!

barbara woods said...

I have used cotton top sheets to

Ruth said...

FYI, I remember reading that backings should have 1/2" seams, not 1/4" seams, especially if they are going to be quilted on a longarm machine.
I really like that animal print fabric you are using for a laundry bag! That looks so fun, and the coordinating plaid and stripe are a great combination.
I think anything that encourages a person to do something nice is great. I know a lot of my tasks have started just by doing a very small step, and then the next step, and then the next...

cityquilter grace said...

pieced backings are certainly ok in my book as well...fabric is fabric...

Anonymous said...

Hi there from Australia1
Perhaps this informatiion will be of use to the lady who needs backing for charity quilts.
I am a member of a large Quilt Guild plus a smaller group who meet in each others' homes.
When making charity quilts a friend buys large (in very good condition) Doona covers of QS/KS size choosing only pure cotton - they are large & you do not
need to put a seem through the middle. they are well washed in hot water before use. I haave seen the finished quilts - you couldn't tell that the backing had a previous use. Currently making quilts for Afghan refugees & a lot of us are seniors on the aged pension.
Always love the posts from "Lovin' Life at the end of The Dirt Road.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...