Monday, January 3, 2022

Desert Rag Quilt

When our girl was home for a visit this summer, she requested a flannel rag quilt. My MIL made her one when she was 9 and it is beyond tattered, but she still has it. 😂 About 5 years ago I mentioned it to my MIL and she pulled another one out and I told her that would be the perfect Christmas gift for our girl. She takes it everywhere. She drug it through grad school and on every school roadtrip, it followed her to her new job and she has taken it to every convention and business road trip - whether they traveled by van, car, or private jet. 😂 As you can imagine, it too is wearing thin. So she put in a new request and I let her look over some options. She chose a bundle of desert inspired fat quarters. These are Woolies Flannels by Bonnie Sullivan for Maywood Studio and she chose the teal for the backing:

DH has spent a few days helping the neighbors wean calves in October and I took advantage of the free time  to cut and stitch:


I cut the big squares 7" and then stitched the 2 1/2" square on top. 

I then centered a 6" square of batting between the top and back squares and stitched an X through the center before piecing the top

                               

Let the ragging begin! These old hands were very grateful for the invention of ragging snips


4 trips through the washer and dryer and much cleaning of the lint trap

and some trimming of the center squares to neaten up extra threads

                                             

And Skeet's seal of approval

This is my last quilt finish of the year


It finishes at 60x72

I love these warm, rich colors

And I hope this desert inspired palette brings a little bit of the dirt road to our girl

May you love this quilt as much as we love you Sprout!

12 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The rag quilt is so pretty, what a great finish for 2021. Happy stitching in 2022!

Joy said...

It is beautiful! As I was reading your blog, I was visioning her taking her old quilt everywhere! Wow! If that quilt could talk! Love the colors! You might have to make another for the grandbaby!

Chantal said...

What a lovely way to finish an awful year with a wonderful, colourful quilt. Congrats! By the smile on her face, I'm convinced she's in love with it.
May 2022 brings you rain often, not a flood but a few inches every now and again. May it brings you good family times, good friends, and good news. May health always be by your side. Peace and hope to you and yours. ;^)

Janna and Mike said...

I've only made one rag quilt--it is a Christmas version, the blocks make up a Christmas tree front and back. You've made me want to make another one! Yours is beautiful and I love the colors your daughter chose!

Cathy W said...

Boy, I love it. Good job Mama

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I'm thinking Skeets approval was the Best!!! that is a beautiful quilt - and will definitely keep her warm!!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your girl knows good stuff. The quilt is beautiful and I am sure it is treasured.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The quilt is a beauty!

Janet O. said...

This looks SO cozy! Your daughter and the quilt are each beautiful!

Sandra said...

Wonderful! I know she will treasure it!!

Treadleworks said...

I love rag quilts! Beautiful quilt that will be loved forever!

Violet said...

I've seen these rag quilts and wondered how to make them. I pulled out a flannel layer cake and got started thanks to your excellent tutorial! I'm just about done with the blocks but not sure how to sew them together. Did you just do long rows? Or sew 4 of them together into a unit and then piece those together?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...