Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Letting the Scraps Fly

 A few months ago I saw this trunk show for this book and I pre-ordered it lickity-split.

With so many great quilts, although I will probably make them bigger, I consider the book to be a bargain. Do I need more quilt patterns? Of course not, but that didn't stop me and now that I have the book, my only problem is deciding which quilt to make first.

 I've already spent a couple of hours pouring over the possibilities. 


Looking at the cutting instructions, I can see where a scrap users system like Bonnie Hunter uses would be handy. Lot's of 1 1/2", 2", and 2 1/2" pieces. I keep some strips, but not many 


so I see a lot of cutting in my future, but I'll cut a little here and there and designate a bin for each quilt:


Eenie, meenie, miney moe...


I can see that I am going to have 2 favorite pattern books now - I took them in on Monday to have them spiral bound


I also took my sewing machine in for a good cleaning so for the time being, the scraps will be flying as I cut them into usable pieces


6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Bonnie's system sounds good but then you need to store those strips and actually use them. For me, I think I'd rather just cut strips for a project. Yes, there are leftover pieces to be used later but that's doable. I look forward to seeing which quilt you piece first, happy stitching!

Sally Langston Warren said...

That looks like a great book! (I watched the video clip.) I do cut my left over fabrics into the size strips that Bonnie recommends and find it very helpful. I have never had any of my books spiral bound but have been thinking about it. Do you loose any of the words on the pages when they cut the spine off and add the spiral? That is my concern.

Carolyn said...

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely watch the trunk show video. Like you, I don’t need more books, but I am sure I will either order it or wait for my LQS to get it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. My library system doesn't have this yet, but they do have several quilting books with "scrap" in the name and I now have a couple on my hold list. Maybe there is inspiration for a next project lurking in there. I need to look in to where around here one can have a book spiral bound, its an intriguing idea.

ceci

Anonymous said...

I've never seen an online trunk show before- loved it! What a great bunch of good looking quilts. Scrap quilting is a passion of mine and I think this book will definitely be on my Christmas Wish List (I have too many UFOs that need to be done first, ha ha!). Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing the quilts you make from it. Also, I've been reading your blog for a bit and really enjoying the glimpses you give to us of your adventures farming, quilting, and sharing your talents. May you get some more healthy rain! Amy.

Janet O. said...

Kim designs great scrap quilt!
I've had a couple of my favorite quilt books spiral bound, too, but I don't dare do more. If I get too many spiral bound, I will have to pull them all out of the shelf in order to find the one I need. :)
I admire Bonnie's system, but have never used it. I don't know that it fits my quilt-making style as well as it does hers.
Looking forward to seeing your scrap creations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...