Monday, October 24, 2022

2 x 4 Autumn Quilt Finish

 The last few years I've concentrated on using up the jelly rolls I have lying around. I don't buy them anymore, but I figured out I like them much better when they are in a quilt. I've had a couple of Posh Pumpkin Jelly Rolls in my stash for a few years and in August of last year I finally decided it was time to put them to work. 


The simplicity of a 2 x 4 quilt appealed to me. Simple, yet classic patchwork, that let the fabric shine. Sandy Gervais does Autumn collections so well. I pulled a few other pieces from my stash to extend the jelly rolls for some blocks

The original 2x4 quilt uses fat quarters: here's a link to that tutorial 2x4

But I wanted to use my jelly rolls so I just modified my measurements. After I cut everything and started sewing, I stumbled upon this tutorial at Cluck Cluck Sew .

The tutorial gives you 2 blocks from each strip with a leftover piece for your scrap basket, but I cut incorrectly on my very first piece so my pieces are shorter by half an inch. My blocks finish 2x3 in the quilt. Still, that actually allowed me to squeeze another block out of the strips with no leftovers.

Sandy quilted a design called Falling Leaves with a camel colored thread across it - it's perfect

I love how these blocks play together

This quilt is 74" x 90". I used a brown from my stash for the binding and bought a wide minky for the backing.

I love this time of year! We don't have typical autumn color here, but the air is crisp and clean and the pastures are curing out. I think the chickens and guineas enjoy these cooler days too. They're chasing the last of the summer bugs.

And I'm so tickled with this finish - it was 37° the other morning so rest assured I'll be breaking this one in while I'm waiting for the morning sun to warm things up enough for Skeet and I to venture out for our Greet the Day trots.

7 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is beautiful! She looks cozy, happy stitching!

Little Penpen said...

What a beautiful quilt and a wonderful use of jelly rolls.

Ronda said...

Beautiful quilt! I love these colors!

Janna and Mike said...

I lost my quilting mojo several years ago but seeing your quilts I feel the stirrings! I have several jelly rolls gathering dust and a book full of patterns using only jelly rolls. Maybe next summer when we get back from AZ I will tackle those!

Sherrill said...

Oooo, beautiful!! And I always love your 'quilt sets'!! I've been working on one I saw on another blog, then I saw another I liked and started it and now this...it's bad. I like the fall but do not like what comes after it..don't like cold..ugh! Don't like the short days and long nights either but whatcha gonna do?

Violet said...

I like your version better...I don't need leftovers from my leftovers! Any sign of Oliver?

Joy in NW Iowa said...

Love your quilt! Earth tones are always pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...