Friday, October 21, 2022

Catching Up

 I'm not any busier than any of you, and I seem to keep up with everything, but somehow I can't manage to post on a regular basis. So after neglecting my blog for 10 days, the things I intended to write about pile up and you get a hodge-podge post with lots of odds and ends.

We made an overnight roadtrip for a bull sale a few weeks ago

Then, one day I drove to a quilt shop in the mountains for an embroidery workshop. We were so busy and I was soaking in so much information that I didn't even take any pictures. I bought a new-to-me machine over a month ago and went to pick it up, but I have yet to even turn it on, but I finally took it out of the box yesterday and that's as far as I got

I forgot my laptop cord there, but the owners, Jackie and Eugene, drove by the ranch on their way to Texas so I arranged to meet them at the mailbox. I traded them Pumpkin Pie Spice Snickerdoodles for the cord:

Yesterday was a rough day. Skeet had to go in for surgery. A few weeks ago I noticed he had a growth on his upper gums so we took him to the vet, 

who also happens to be a friend. Poor puppy is out of his element in town. So after dropping him off at 10

 I had made plans to spend the entire day in town running errands and tending to things that always seem to get pushed to the back burner when I'm in a hurry. At 11, DH phoned and said we could pick him up at noon so I shortened my list a little and aimed for 1:00. At noon I got a call from our camp man and when I answered, I heard DH's voice. He had lost his phone and needed some info that was in a book at the house to attempt to locate it. They were gathering cattle about 45 minutes away from the house. Some were hanging out in a marshy, knee-deep area and when DH took his horse across it to move the cows out, he thinks his phone disappeared. So I dropped everything, picked up a very groggy Skeet and turned towards home. Alas, they were unable to locate his phone so that was the first rule of business this morning. 


We're getting our ducks in a row for Fall Works next week so DH has been juggling lots of phone calls organizing the crew and all the details. Thankfully, all of his contacts transferred to my phone so he was able to tend to business as usual. Isn't it funny how we've become so dependent on these silly little pocket computers these days? 

Then when he tried to contact our north camp man this morning via text and then phone, there was no answer so he called his wife. His phone had crashed so he too was phoneless. Sigh. 

More cattle were moved and both boys are back in business.

Skeet too is back in business. They removed the growth and sent it off to be biopsied so we're praying for a good report.

This morning, he was raring to go for our morning trot - it's the only way I can think of to cheer him up

Things have been a little empty at home because sadly, Oliver disappeared yesterday. I am missing my little chore buddy

As is Skeet

They were huge buddies

Life is good out here at the end of the dirt road, but sometimes it can be a little 😭

6 comments:

Sherrill said...

Oh NO! Not Oliver! We have issues like that around here and I'm 'in the city' (suburbs really). Lots of coyotes are being pushed out of their element so they snag the pets. Hopefully Oliver will show up and Skeet's biopsy will be benign.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Skeet’s biopsy and Oliver’s return.

Chantal said...

I hope you get good news for Skeet. Looks like his shoulder wound healed well too. Poor Oliver. :^( Hopefully, he just left for a few nights with the girls in the neighborhood and will be back eventually. Mine disappear for 10 days in the middle of January at minus 20C. He was skinny when he showed up but otherwise okay. Those pocket computers are so important no matter what line of work you are in. ;^)

Janna and Mike said...

So sorry about little Oliver--life can be hard on a ranch! I love your hodgepodge blog posts and have you posted a recipe for those pumpkin snickerdoodles before? We have had an owl hanging around very close as on our deck railing. Our little schnauzer weighs only 10 pounds so we've been keeping an eye on her. Here's hoping Skeet's biopsy is good news!

pbrenner said...

I'm so sorry about Oliver - I hope he's already turned up after a walkabout. Sending prayers for Skeet's biopsy, too. This critters give us so much unconditional love that it's hard when we have to think about saying goodbye.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You have been busy!!!!
Glad skeets surgery went well - sorry about oliver
and the phone....I stress about losing one like that - poor guy!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...