Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Stepping Things Up This Week

Fall Works are in full swing around here this week so our days are full. We sold 1768 hd of cattle at the sale barn on Monday and I had planned on grabbing groceries to feed the crew after work, but it was close to 7 p.m. when I left and I was too pooped to tackle my list. So that meant an early morning trip to town on Tuesday. Paul's Vet Supply, Sam's, and 2 grocery store stops because store #1 was out of jalapenos. That was a first. What kind of store is out of jalapenos in NM? I had some in the garden, but we had our first freeze on Monday night and there weren't enough left on the bushes. 
I grabbed a $5.00 roasted chicken at Sam's for dinner and headed home. Those chickens are a great deal! We'll get 3 meals out of it and then you can use the carcass, add vegetables and make great stock.
Popping in an old photo here because what good is a post without photos and I didn't think about taking a picture because I emptied sacks quickly so we could get to that chicken!


DH had hay delivered while I was in town so he was busy putting bales out in the pens for the calves we are weaning this week.


After dinner, I started potatoes for potato salad, wrote this post while they were cooking, and laced up my walking shoes when they were done. I'm only cooking for 3 days, but it's still work pulling everything together and I'm determined to fit walks in somewhere.


Then I made today's dessert while DH went to town for a Board Meeting. I was cleaning up the kitchen when he got home at 8 and by 9 we were asleep. 

Then this morning, after DH left for North Camp, Skeet and I walked out to the pens to add Corid to the water troughs


Then it was back to the house to start on rolls:


Here's what's on the menu this week:

Wednesday: Ribs ~ Hot Links ~ Loaded Baked Potatoes ~ Calabacitas ~ State Fair Yeast Biscuits
                      
                                                       ~Chocolate Eclair Dessert~

Thursday: Brisket ~ Potato Salad ~ Baked Beans ~ Rolls ~ Jalapeno Poppers

                                                                ~Lemon Bars~

Friday: Fajitas ~ Guacamole ~ Homemade Salsa ~ Queso ~ Chips

                                                        ~Apple Pie ~ Ice Cream ~

We've got a couple at North Camp and his wife was sweet to cook on Monday while I was at work. I sent eggs over because she cooked breakfast too and will also cook breakfast on Wednesday and Thursday. The cows are on their side of the ranch and the crew will start gathering over there. They will finish up on our side so I'm cooking dinner. Friday's the only day I'll have them for breakfast too.

So, if anyone needs me this week, you can find me in the kitchen...or shuffling down the dirt road before the sun sets. Chocolate Eclair Dessert recipe coming up next!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Great shots of Skeet! I don't envy all the cooking ahead of you! Hope you get some quilting time in soon!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine accomplishing all that cooking and errand running and fitting in a walk. And you set a high bar for feeding work crews!

ceci

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...