Friday, October 5, 2012

Calabacitas

Here's a good end of summer dish when you are looking for another way to use that zucchini that seems to multiply overnight.


I love the colors in this!
I make this for the crew with ribs and hot links, baked potatoes, a chile relleno casserole, and these homemade rolls. I have two guys on the crew this fall who will not touch a vegetable to save their lives with the exception of a potato, but everyone else loves it and I am certain they would too if they would just try it! I've had a  few converts through the years.

When our boy graduated from USMC boot camp (THAT was 13 weeks that added to my gray hair!), they had this amazing ceremony and they told us a little about changes we may notice in our boys. One of those changes was that they would wear their pants...above their waists. The other was that picky eaters would be returned to their families, cured. They would now eat everything on their plates...AND LIKE IT. LOL

 Neither of mine are picky eaters and perhaps that is why I like to cook. So give this dish a whirl. I am always looking for new recipes, particularly side dishes because I like variety so maybe y'all will enjoy this:

Calabacitas

4 medium zucchini or a mix of zucchini and yellow squash
1 chopped onion
1/4 C butter or olive oil for sauteing (I use a combination of the 2)
1 C fresh corn cut from the cob or 1can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can Rotel (tomatoes with green chiles)
grated cheese
extra green chile (see previous post) :)

Saute the onion  for just a few minutes to soften. Add the zucchini and saute for 10-15 minutes. I add coarse ground  pepper too. Then just dump in your corn and Rotel and green chile. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so and then sprinkle with grated cheese. I usually use sharp Cheddar. Then dig in!

13 comments:

Sallie said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Quiltn Mama said...

What is it with men and boycotting veggies? Thanks for sharing this...it sounds really good!

The English Ladies! said...

Look good I'm going to go home after work and try it!!! Thanks for sharing!

Staci said...

You gave my husband a belly laugh this morning with what you were told about changes to expect to see after boot camp. He's continued to chuckle off and on!

Your veggie saute looks so good! I'm ready for a plateful!

Nancy said...

Thanks for another tasty recipe.

Darlene said...

Calabacitas!!!! OMG, be still my heart!!! This is a huge favorite of mine. In fact, I made it just last week - I add sauteed chicken and call it a meal. YUM, YUM, YUM!!! I don't care for Mexicorn but that's what my grandmother always used - I just use niblets.

Darlene said...

By the way, some day I'll have to tell you the story about my daughter and the huge pot of fideo (vermicelli) my grandmother had for a small crew during branding season. We still laugh about it to this day. LOL

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I will try it next year for some unknown reason mu zucchini didn't over produce this year. I have read all your posts the last couple of weeks just didn't get a comment made. So very thankful your boy is home hope he stays home from now on:)
Off to the homecoming parade in town.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

MMM That sounds yummy!!! On my way!!

Barbara said...

Looks Dee-lish!

Carol said...

Oh my! That sounds delicious...I'm going to give that a whirl...thank you!

Jo said...

I am a veggie lover so this looks GREAT to me!

Denise :) said...

Aaaah!! This is what I'm talking about! This sounds marvelous! Karin, you ought to consider a "Life at the End of the Dirt Road" cookbook! I'd buy it, for sure! And I'm quite serious, too! You could accentuate it with stories and photos from life on the ranch. It would be marvelous. You've got a natural gift for storytelling, and your recipes always sound YUMMY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...