Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Stitching for Our Boy

Last week, after our boy left, I got to work. I needed something to fill the quiet. He really missed his guitars while he was away and it was so good to hear him playing while he was home. As of now, it looks like he'll be at the base for a while so I think a quilt is in order! Hopefully it'll add a touch of home to his room in the barracks. I really wanted to send him one when he was deployed, but he moved around so much and he said he didn't want to lose it. Lots of times he didn't even sleep in a bed and he carried everything he owned.

So I spent the weekend whipping out endless hst's - 352 to be exact. I was a woman on a mission and I think my sewing machine was really happy when that last seam was stitched:

My iron and I bonded:



 I stitched love and hugs and prayers into every seam  and then pressed them so they could not be washed out:

Then it was on to stitching of rows -the lighting here is awful that background is not that dark:


And more rows:


DH left at 4 am. The sun came up and the sun went down  and I sewed until the cows, and he, came home:


And at the end of the day, a quilt top was born:


I took it to Jackie yesterday. When she retires, which I told her she couldn't do, I am going shopping for a quilting machine.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful top. I think all those hugs, prayers, and kisses will make it extra comfy!

Lisa Lisa said...

So much love in that quilt. It's beautiful! I love that you call your grown son your "boy".....I do the same with my 23-year-old :)

Dorian said...

That's really nice Karin, love the pattern! I know your boy will love it too. I'm so glad he came home safely.

Denise :) said...

Oh Karin, it's truly wonderful...he'll love it!!! :)

Mara said...

I love the design, and the color is perfect for a military boy! I can't believe that you put it together so quickly, your a determined sewing mama.

Nancy said...

It's beautiful, and he is going to be the envy of the barracks. Nice job!

When Jackie retires, maybe you can purchase her machine. ;oD

Linda in TX said...

Very very pretty Karin - and a nice big size. I know that men love 'em when they're long enough to wrap around your feet and still have plenty of quilt to wrap around your neck. I am sure your house is way too quiet - but you'll be with him every day when he gets his quilt.

Monday I made your Oompa Loompa bread for a quilt retreat at my house this weekend. Oh my oh my. Is that stuff good. Very good. Maybe too good. Today I'm making two more loaves for the quilt retreat this weekend and I'm going to make sure they're wrapped and put in the freezer as soon as they cool. This is one of those things that can't sit out long or people eat it ALL up. Thanks for sharing this recipe - it's a real keeper!

Darlene said...

Definitely a woman on a mission - it's perfect. Your son is going to love it. Heck, I love it. :-)

Staci said...

Wow! What a busy day for you and your machine & iron. The quilt is beautiful, and I'm sure will bless the person who snuggles under it!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I've seen the zig zag pattern, but love the way you turned it to make squares. Prayer quilts are a wonderful thing to make. I've made a couple and the praying sure helps the heart get through the situation!!

Kristie said...

I love it! He will love it too. Something about a quilt that mom made that is so comforting and warm. I know exactly what you mean about the boys and their guitars. I could listen to Andrew play forever on his guitar.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
kristie

Carol said...

What a wonderful quilt...fantastic sewing day...oh your son is going to absolutely flip over it

Kay Lynne said...

Beautiful quilt made with lots of love--he will treasure it!

Quiltn Mama said...

Sew, mama, sew! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!

Pauline said...

Beautiful! I've not seen the squares worked into a zig zag like that. That's a great idea. Sewing is great thearpy! Your boy will love it!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

That is so beautiful! He will love it I'm sure.
GOOD JOB...can we call you a.....Quilt Aholic?? lol

quiltgrammy said...

Beautiful colors and I LOVE the layout of the HST's. I'm sure your boy will love it and feel the love Mom put into it.

Karin said...

WOW - that was fast. I´m sure it will be loved and will give your son a bit of home feeling.

Awesome shot of the "clouds on fire"

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it! and I love that you pressed all the hugs and kisses into it! that is a great layout!!

Doniene said...

Beautiful!! Just right for soldier boy! Glad he gets to stay on base for awhile! Maybe home for Christmas?

Blessings!!!

juliehallfeldhaus said...

wow you go girl!!! I love the quilt and the colors I'm sure your son will too. A picture of love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...