Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Dirt Road Gypsy Quilt



The Dirt Road Gypsy Quilt is home! On Tuesday I picked it up from Jackie and with the Blogger Quilt Festival beginning on Friday, I set about getting the binding on:


Stitching to the front:


And then I was eager to hand stitch the back down. I love binding quilts and I these little red binding clips are my new favorite notion:




Its been a busy week, but yesterday DH left for an Elk hunt and our girl came home for the weekend, dragging along a friend and two kitties. In order to get this quilt bound in time for the Quilt Festival, I had to work on it while she was home. This was my solution:


I just tossed a big flannel sheet over the top of the quilt. Problem solved! I'm sneaky like that. :)
The girls went to town last night to conquer the corn maze and I worked on the binding all night long until they came home.
I had help:

My binding buddies:


I'm cutting it close for the festival, but who needs sleep? I'm multitasking, as this will be my Christmas Through the Year project for October as well.


  Darlene and Cheryl have been wonderful throughout the year and because of them, my hand made gifts are just about finished! Thanks ladies!

If you're popping in from the Festival - welcome to the end of the dirt road where quilting and ranching are mixed in with a bit of homemade goodness from the oven.

Our college girl chose this pattern that was originally published in the  February 2012 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. It is a pattern by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle. I think I wore out my iron pressing all of those seams open, and I was never so happy to unplug that thing when the last seam was pressed. However, now that I see the finished quilt, it makes me want to make another one...or perhaps I ought to just keep this one! No worries kiddo! It was just a fleeting thought although don't even try to con me into giving this to you early! Under the Christmas Tree it goes!

I love the stained glass look and am smitten with the backing. In an earlier post, I came to the conclusion that I was channeling my inner Jimmy Buffet when I crossed paths with this fabric. And I suppose Jimmy Buffet is a Gypsy in an island kind of way. I sure did listen to a lot of his music while I worked on these blocks. This became known as the gypsy quilt when I began to look at all of the fabrics I had gathered together. There are bits of Terrain, Curio, Gypsy Caravan, Organic Soul, London, Grand Bazaar, Road to Marrakesh, Rhapsodia, Mimosa, Summersault and who knows what else! Its an eclectic mix and some of the names of the fabric lines just made me think of exotic and far away lands and thus gypsy came to mind. College is  a journey so I'm thinking it is an appropriate name, but no matter where she roams, she will always be a dirt road girl. 

Quilt Measurements: 100 x 100

Special Techniques: None, just lots of pressing open of seams. :)
Quilted By: Jackie Williams using this great swirly design called Happy Days

Best Category: Bed Quilt - Scrap Quilt 
So here's my contribution for this year's festival:



Thank you so much for stopping in! I know that Amy is hosting another grand quilt festival and that there are umpteen blogs to visit and oodles of inspiration. Thank you Amy! I'm fairly certain we will all be adding to our lists of 'must make' quilts! 

37 comments:

Janet said...

Wonderful quilt! Love all the scrappy goodness and the tile look.

carol fun said...

This quilt just blows me away-- I love the scrappyness and that it does look like stained glass - omg - 100 X 100 - now that is a BIG quilt! I know your daughter will treasure it. hugs -

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This quilt is amazing! Lots and lots of work, huh? Totally worth it! Wow.

Darlene said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!! It's beautiful, Karin.

Borderline Quilter said...

Hi Karin....
Great Quilt and lots of work....it's a long way down my dirt road and up your dirt but it was well worth the visit!

Best Wishes
Kay in Scotland

Quiltn Mama said...

What an awesome quilt! I'm sure the job of binding it was made so much easier with the addition of your two pals ;)

Carol said...

Wonderful, wonderful quilt! I love you binding buddies...so sweet!

straythreads said...

beautiful quilt!!
Ann

Dar said...

I'm a scrap quilt lover too and yours is exceptional!! Love it!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow!!! This is such a fabulous quilt!!!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Karin, I love it!! So glad it's home and you are doing the thing you love..... binding!! Love the kitties, too.

My quilting buddy sent me an email not 2 hours ago and said "Look at this quilt!! Think of the scraps we'll use and it looks so easy!!" I about fell out of my chair laughing as I KNOW about that quilt. It was the photo of your 'Gypsy' from the Feb. quilting magazine.

Happy binding, my friend!

Kristie said...

I love that quilt! I can't imagine the work that went into pressing all of those seems. It is very pretty.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

Sisbabestitches said...

I have to echo Darlene
WOW, WOW, WOW
this is stunning finished!
Love the sneaky way you hid it :)

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful scrappy quilt! :) Pat

CitricSugar said...

Oh wow! Just lovely.

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Holy moly! That is quite a finish! I'm sure your daughter will treasure it.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I just LOVE this quilt! :) It's so gorgeous. I have loads of my grandmother's scraps and haven't yet decided what to do with them. Just when I think I decide, I see another gorgeous inspirational quilt. :)

Karin said...

Oh I really love this quilt - great job. I also like the quilting.

PaintedThread said...

All of those seams! I love the colors and the layout. Neat quilt.

trish said...

Beautiful quilt! :o) I love your solution for sweet little kitties who love to snuggle on quilts. :o)

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I still think this quilt would look better in SD on my bed:) You do such a good job and make such BIG quilts I wish I had your determination!!!

Nancy said...

The quilt is lovely - so colorful and interesting to study.

I still use hair clips to hold my binding, but I've heard others recommend the red clips you use. I'll look for them.

pennydog said...

It's fantastic- I don't think I could commit to so much sashing! Fabulous finish.

Carla said...

You have probably heard this in every comment, but this quilt is amazing!!!

Barb said...

wonderful quilt!! thanks for sharing it.

sonia said...

Wow! Beautiful quilt. Congrats!

Quilting Babcia said...

Gorgeous quilt! This is one we all want to make!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing quilt! So beautiful!

Denise :) said...

Oh Karin -- this is breathtakingly beautiful -- she's going to be SO pleased with it!! It really is lovely! Your little helpers are quite darling, too! And those wonder clips are fabulous for binding -- I won a set from our guild last year and now I've got a second set on my Christmas wish list! A very nice finish, sweet friend. The Dirt Road Gypsy Quilt is definitely a winner! :)

CathyH said...

I love scrap quilts, and I love YOUR quilts. This one is massive! and Beautiful. Great work!

Ellie Q said...

Beautiful! Love the bright scraps. I made a pillow similar to this--I love the look!

Deb said...

Gorgeous! It turned out simply lovely!

Suzanne said...

A...maz...ing! I love scrappy and this one is just gorgeous!

Staci said...

How lovely to see the finish! This quilt is such an accomplishment! I know you and the iron had a lot of bonding time while you were making it, and then we did scrap jars which was pretty iron intense right afterward! You must have been sick to death of that iron.

The quilt is really gorgeous, and I know your daughter will treasure it! I love the quilting pattern, too. Really goes with your Gypsy Island theme!

Lisa Lisa said...

Beautiful!

Rene' said...

Love the scrappiness!

Candace said...

Love this quilt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...