Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Where's the Beef?

I have been running low on beef. The cupboard freezer was bare. We have been feeding out a beef, but you cannot rush a good beef. It takes time and if you are going to have 800 pounds of beef in your freezer, it's worth the wait to have a good one. I had to buy some from the grocery store a few weeks ago and a friend chided me for it. LOL. Believe me, I hated to do it. I had no idea how much it cost! Ouch!

Growing up, DHs family always processed their own beef and I know how much work that is. When we first married, my best friend and her husband ran a meat market and I helped a couple of times. It was exhausting! At the time we didn't have any children, but they had 5! The woman was, and IS, super woman! No one kept them, they were there when they were not in school and you can bet that they all grew up with work ethic!

We are blessed to have a great meat market in town:

They have been in business forever and know the meaning of a job well done, customer service, and pride in producing a quality product.


This is Mr. Howard, who is the dear, dear man who owns the business,


When I asked to take his picture he wanted to go put on a clean coat, but I told him he looked perfectly dapper, which he does!

This time I only had to find room for 400 pounds because we split the beef with the family at North Camp:


My freezer is full to overflowing:

I feel spoiled. First up, a good ol' ranch raised T-Bone Steak!

11 comments:

Joanne Lendaro said...

YUM!!!! A hundred years ago my parents did this. Dad knew the farmer, who knew the butcher who cut the beef. I didn't know people still did this, there is such a difference in the taste - much, much better I do remember that!

Mr. Howard is a cutie!! I hope he's training the next generation, otherwise this too will be a lost art.

Kristie said...

Oh I just love fresh beef and pork! We usually end up doing ours at home and boy you are right, it is a big job.

Have a wonderful day
Kristie

Carol said...

YUM! I remember my parents doing that when I was a kid and we lived in Idaho. There was nothing better!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Home raised beef is a HUGE BLESSING! One I try not to ever take for granted!

Darlene said...

Oh my grandparents did this to stock their freezer. Sometimes they would do a couple so we could all stock our freezers. Nothing like ranch raised beef - YUM!!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

DH is taking our steer to the butcher tomorrow. Can hardly wait for the 'new' beef. Still have 3 packs of hamburger, some soup bones, and a roast left, but that will be gone by the end of the two week hanging period.

By the way, I made the 'honey bun' cake yesterday and it's a big hit with our visiting friends from FL and DH. The recipe is going into my SUPER EASY and DELICIOUS file. Thanks!!!

Nancy said...

Nothing better than a freezer full of custom-butchered and packaged meat.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I need some of that! We don't have anything ready to butcher yet. The plan was to eat Butterball grandson's 4-H calf but surprise we couldn't do it!!

Shelljo said...

I'm glad to see proof! LOL. Which reminds me, I need to check with Dad to see when our beef is ready! I'm down to 1 package of burger. Fortunately we still have LOTS of pork, so we're eating it, making room for the beef!

Denise :) said...

Awesome! I love it when my freezer is full. Usually, though, ours is full of venison. Todd and his dad have typically kept us in meat (and his dad is our 'processor'). We usually do a nice mix of ground meat (regular and sausage), roasts, cube steaks, and stew meat. It's such a blessing for us! One of our friends from church grew up in Oregon and her family kept beef cattle. She said the first time she bought ground beef at the grocery store, she got it home, opened it up, and thought they'd sold her 'bad' meat because of the color! :)

Anonymous said...

I never realized how spoiled I was just reaching into the freezer for whatever meat I wanted. But after 2 years of my husband not being able to hunt(health issues), we started buying meat. Ouch!!! And the taste difference!!!

blessings, jill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...