Monday, November 7, 2022

Pickled Jalapenos

 We had our first freeze 2 weeks ago so that means the garden is done.

 I picked everything and ended up with a lot of jalapenos. 

I cut some up and froze them - we add jalapenos to lots of dishes - right now I am thinking these will be perfect on homemade pizza - but I still had a lot left so I figured I'd can some pickled jalapenos. I contemplated making Cowboy Candy which is a sweet version, but DH nixed that. He didn't want all the sugar so plain old pickled jalapenos it was. 

I never wear gloves when I chop jalapenos, but I did this time because I was dealing with a lot of jalapenos and the ones from my garden are notoriously hot although they are less so this year because we just didn't have a crazy hot summer.

I followed this recipe

                                          Super Simple Canned Jalapeno Slices

Just making notes here so I'll know what I did when next year rolls around. I had enough jalapenos for 7 pints so I used 

5 C vinegar

5 C water

4 Tbsp Kosher Salt

for my brine. Next year I'd like to add some mustard seed, peppercorn, and a little garlic. Now the hard part is waiting the 4 weeks for these to be pickled enough to dig in. 

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I LOVE Cowboy Candy and canned several batches of it to enjoy thru the winter. I eat it mostly on crackers with a swipe of cream cheese and top it off with those yummy peppers!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...