Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Extra Lemony Lemon Squares

  Lemon Squares have been around for a long time and I've been making them forever, but most of them are pretty sweet which I guess is what a dessert is supposed to be, but if I'm eating something lemony, I want it to be tart with just a hint of sweet in the background and these lemon bars are just that!  


I guess lemon bars are more of a summer dessert, but it's what I made the other day for the crew so you get lemon bars in November. 😉 Here's the original recipe with all the details and I'll attest to the fact that this is a place for great recipes so poke around some while you're there.

                                                            Jo Cooks - Lemon Bars

Now, I think it's hard to beat my Lemon Meringue Cake, but I made these bars before and the crew loved them so they were quickly added to my favorites recipe collection. These also freeze well so pucker up buttercup - these are yummy! 


Extra Lemony Lemon Squares

For the crust you'll mix: 

1 C softened butter 

1/2 C sugar

 2 C flour 

1/4 tsp salt


Filling: 

3 C sugar

6 large eggs, beaten (room temperature)

2 large lemon, zested

1 C lemon juice (I juiced 6 fresh lemons - they were extra large)

1 C flour


Topping: Sprinkle with powdered sugar

*Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking or baking spray. Mix together butter and sugar. Blend in flour and salt. Press into bottom of pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Make filling while crust is baking. Mix sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over hot crust and bake for 30 minutes or until set. It will set up more as it cools. Dust with powdered sugar. Cool and cut into squares.         

  

*Notes: I think I'd like a little thinner crust so I'll probably only use 3/4 of the dough next time. The chickens can feast on the rest. 😉

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...