Monday, March 13, 2023

Sourdough : Blueberry Sourdough Sweet Rolls

Stop the presses. Grab your sourdough starter. And make these. I made these Sunday morning and they instantly earned a place in my favorite recipes cookbook. Here's the original recipe - as always, I encourage you to get the recipe there. My notes are always an abbreviated version that works for me.

Blueberry Sourdough Sweet Rolls

My sourdough starter has been very happy 

and when I stumbled upon this recipe I was too weak to resist the calling and boy howdy! Am I ever glad I caved to temptation - it will be worth the extra trekking miles. 

And yes, I'm sure you could make these from regular dough instead of sourdough, but the sourdough takes them over the top. We think the sourdough keeps them from being too sweet and thus, it enhances the blueberries. Sourdough elevates everything! Next time, I'd like to substitute raspberries, but these were simply off the charts amazing.

Blueberry Sourdough Sweet Rolls

Dough

2 C flour

1/2 C active sourdough starter

1/2 C water

2 Tbsp honey

1/4 C butter, melted

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Blueberry Filling

2 Tbsp butter

1 C blueberries

2 tsp cornstarch

1/2 C brown sugar, lightly packed

Glaze

1 C powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 Tbsp milk

*In a large bowl, mix together flour, honey, melted butter, water, and sourdough starter. It will be firm. Cover and allow to ferment for 12-24 hours for the most benefit from the sourdough. It won't rise like traditional yeast dough. 

*Preheat oven to 375°. In a saucepan, cook blueberries and butter a bit until cooked down. Then sprinkle with cornstarch. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Allow to cool down a bit.

*Sprinkle the dough with salt, baking soda, and baking powder and knead together until well combined.

*Roll out dough. Spread with cooled blueberries. 

*Roll up, Slice and place rolls in greased 9"x11" baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and drizzle with glaze.

*Warning: foundering is a real possibility. 😉

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Those look YUMMY but I haven't done sourdough in decades (didn't do much with it when it was 'the thing') and, being it's just me here, I rarely ever cook anything and that would be BAD to have around here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...