Thursday, March 2, 2023

The Dirt Blizzard Aftermath

 On Monday's post, I mentioned the 60 mph sustained winds (70-80 mph gusts) we experienced on Sunday and posted this photo.

I have lots of similar photos through the years

And no, I didn't edit the photos or convert them to sepia. Those are straight from the camera. Many places have wind and it certainly makes our daily lives as ranchers challenging, but it's the blowing dirt that really  makes it miserable. It's hard to find cows in this

But regardless the weather, they still need to be caked

 A reader commented that it's similar to the blizzards with blowing snow that she and many others experience and that lead me to rename our windy/dirt flying days as Dirt Blizzards and this

along with shingle salutations

leaves us with the aftermath


I'm just grateful we didn't have a repeat of this (this happened when we lived in Texas)

And we didn't lose electricity, or have downed trees, or powerlines so this was just a minor inconvenience. 10 years ago we had a new roof installed here and they did a wonderful job because we haven't lost a single shingle

I work at the Sale Barn on Mondays so I wasn't home as DH spent some of the morning on the roof of the salt shed, screwing down loose tin. The bunkhouse and shed are in need of new roofs although they are not leaking so they are added to the bottom of a very long list of ranch improvements. 

DH had a good idea and suggested I use a pitchfork to save my back - I married a clever man

And I had an assistant who was moping because DH left him behind

After an hour, we had quite the collection to take to the dump

                                                 

Still more to go, but another round of wind chased me inside where there was plenty to keep me busy as well. πŸ˜‰


I just saw that today's forecast includes more flying shingles. πŸ˜„

5 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh no! Dirt blizzards are the worst because the dirt can get into the house more easily than a snow blizzard. I hope you don't have to shovel that afterward though. That would be quite a task. Yuck! Hang in there, you know that it will come to pass. I hope your roof will stay on and the electricity too. ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

A dirty blizzard is no fun. We don't normally have that kind of blizzard but one time, in the spring, after all the fields were worked (bare soil) we had 50MPH winds. I had shut all the windows in the house but we still had dirt in there. All I could think of was the women who had to clean their houses constantly during the dust bowl days. No wonder so many of them had breakdowns.

Sherrill said...

Poor Skeet, gettin' left behind is sad! I think our WINDY day is supposed to happen today with a potential for 'cluster cells' (maybe tornadoes, EWW). We'll see....

Janna and Mike said...

Over here in southeast AZ we've owned this place for six years and have never experienced wind like we've had this season! And today we have about two inches of snow on the ground and it's coming down hard, really hard!

Ranch Mom said...

I can't imagine the clean up from all of the dirt. We have hurricanes here in Florida and plenty of thunderstorms but I'm not sure that I could stand consistent dirt blizzards like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...