Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Another New Quilt Project

There are other things I really ought to be stitching, but the leftovers from my triangle quilt top


were pleading for me to not stuff them back into the bin, lest they be forgotten. Choosing a pattern is often the most time consuming part of the quilt making process for me. I scroll through my saved quilts on Pinterest. I search out new ideas in the patterns I already own. I thumb through magazines. And wait for inspiration to strike.

This time it took 3 days. I love this quilt I found online:


It didn't take long to cut a stack of 5" squares:


And begin laying out the design:


Initially, I used a Bella solid for the tan, but I remembered I had this wood print and I debated back and forth about which to use.


The wood won out:


It makes the pluses look like they're hanging on a barn wall. I'll use the solid in another project with the last of these fabrics because it matches so well and I don't want to waste it.

I LOVE this design and no, I didn't use a pattern. I looked, but was unable to find one. I found the original quilt at She Can Quilt  so I just did the figuring myself. Laying everything out takes a while, but the sewing is quick and simple.

A few years ago I made a couple of Plus quilts and I've been wanting to make another since I finished these two, both using jelly rolls:

                                         

And this one:

                      

This top finishes at 58.5" x 63.5". I like the asymmetrical balance, but I would like to make it bigger without adding a border so I hope to play around with some graph paper and see where that leads.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 'wood' fabric made all the difference. What a great look.

Dorian said...

Very nice Karin! Glad you came up with a plan fairly quick.

Tired Teacher said...

Lovely way to use your scraps. I love the wood grain fabric with the other prints. Well done!

Lisa J Spencer said...

I love the "Plus" pattern. I have used it several times and after seeing yours I might have to make another! I have a quilt book for Jelly Rolls and have enjoyed it as well. It takes a spin on antique quilts and adapts the patterns for Jelly Rolls. Happy Quilting! ~Lisa S

Sherrill said...

I've started a couple of plus tops--one just after DH passed and then when I moved, it got packed up and haven't seen it since..ugh. Everytime I see one, I'm reminded I need to make/finish one. Yours are GREAT! Really just need to start sewing again..been quite awhile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...