Friday, May 25, 2018

Bunny Hop Baby Quilt and Book Question Answered

*In my previous post, I had a question in a comment from an anonymous reader. I thought I'd answer her question here since I didn't have any contact information. She asked where I stored all of our books. Bookshelves. Many bookshelves. There is one in every room. Each bedroom (3) has one - plus a 5' x 6' bookshelf in the office. There are two in the living room and one in the hallway. Oh, and one in the mud-room-entryway-laundry room for cookbooks. :) Then there are 4 BIG plastic bins stashed in a couple of closets with books from when the chiddlers were young. We are definitely a family of devoted readers.

As for today...I have a finished quilt to share.

Through the years I've collected quite a few jelly rolls on sale and although I don't buy them anymore and haven't for a few years, and they do look cute hanging around, they are even cuter in a quilt.

                                     

I needed another baby quilt for a little girl and since this pattern was on hand

                                    

and I had this jelly roll

                             

Combined with this Sizzix die:


It just felt like a good fit:

                              

We have an abundance of rabbits around here. At  any given time, you can walk outside and see 25 bunnies scampering about. We have both jack rabbits and cotton tails.

Just over 3 years ago, DH noticed this bald faced bunny hanging around:


We've never seen one like this and the other day we saw him again. Wild bunnies have a pretty short lifespan around here, but our little furry friend must be pretty clever as he's either beaten the odds, or has passed on his sweet markings to his offspring.

These soft colors made a sweet quilt and I like these bunnies a lot. I think they'd be cute in any fabric
I backed it with a pink and brown swirl print from the line as I wanted to use it up and I used a brown for the binding.


Jackie's daughter is a teacher and she moonlights as a Jackie's sidekick at night. She quilted a swirl across the bricks and added a little bit of custom quilting around the bunnies that set them off so nicely and gave them some added movement. They really look like they're hopping across the quilt. Result: One sweet quilt that measures 41" x 44"


Finding anything green around here these days is close to impossible and pretty outdoor photos were just not in the cards on the ranch so I cheated and took photos at a park in town where they have this stuff called grass...and it's green:


 We are in desperate need of rain. Two days ago we had 1/2" of rain here at the house, but 1.3" east of the house and it filled up dirt tanks. Yay! Until then, we've  had 0.2" since the first week of October. My Vinca Major is about the only thing that seems to thrive and apparently bunnies don't like it or it too would be gone, but rest assured, you will, more often than not, find a hound dog or cat carving out a cool spot:

                       

So  I popped into this park for 5 minutes because this sweet little quilt deserves a pretty backdrop


And a little shady spot to escape the brutal summer heat:


On to the next jelly roll!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! We have a bunny and it seems he has a taste for impatiens. Either that or the chipmunks. I am sure the recipient will be very "hoppy" with the gift. Enjoy the weekend and let us remember the reason we have it.

Dotti in CT

Janet O. said...

I am with you on the bookcases. I think we have about 14 of them at our house, in varying sizes. We love our books! :)
What a wonderfully sweet bunny baby quilt. Clever of you to put the different components together to create it. It looks lovely in all the glamor shots. :)

Pauline said...

What a cute quilt! Love the colors and the bunnies just "make" the quilt! I can't imagine so many bunnies and nothing green! Wonder what they eat? Possibly hay? We have a little grey fox (now nursing kits) that shows up at the front door morning and night for her handout of day old bread we buy just for her at Walmart. We can hear many foxes "scream" every night. The don't bark like dogs, just an unusual "scream" as they communicate with each other across the valleys. Most unusual sound.

Dorian said...

Very sweet Karin! Love those bunnies. It must be pretty hard to garden with so many of them around your place.

Tired Teacher said...

What a sweet baby quilt! I've never seen a wild rabbit with a blaze face - interesting. It brings Watership Down to mind: it's a favorite book of mine. I need to reread it some day.

Sherrill said...

My bookcase is being thinned and beaucoup bags taken to the library every week or so. Hopefully I'm almost done (think they're sick of seeing me with my quilt books). Such a sweet girl..I know your gift quilts are loved and cherished.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love your bunny baby quilt. Some little girl is going to love that! Just this spring I've begun to thin my books. I've offered our daughters their choices and donated others. I'm am ready for a minimalist approach to life...except for my fabric stash! Since you have had so little rain, I won't rub it in that we have had a little over 24" since January 1. It's so lush, to help out, I've taken over the weed eating around the house and yard.......until we found two copperheads very close to the house (one against the foundation) last weekend. My heart still hasn't slowed down! Praying for a good rain on your part of NM.

Margaret said...

Aren’t you clever?! Your baby quilt is the cutest one I’ve seen in a very long time!

Judy said...

Most of my books and bookcases are in storage. I had 4, 1 for books and 3 for fabric. Your quilt is so sweet. That was a very nice line. We had a wonderful time at the North Rim at the Grand Canyon. I praise my Jesus for creating such beauty here on earth and look forward to seeing what He has beyond my expectation. Happy Sabbath to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...