Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Ranch Wife in the Kitchen



I'm an early riser, but 3:30 is pushing it. However, in the interest of putting a good breakfast on the table, it's a sacrifice I will gladly make...well, gladly may be stretching it...let's go with grudgingly.

I don't know a lot of folks who cook these days, but apparently a lot of them do because there are an awful lot of good recipes floating around Pinterest. I tried a new biscuit recipe this morning:



Let's just say, it's a keeper.


Although I must have lost my mind because a couple of gals and I just started a fitness challenge today and eating a buttermilk biscuit with fruit spread probably wasn't the smartest way to kick it all off. Of course, since I'll be cooking for the branding crew all week, I'll have more than a little ole' innocent biscuit to tempt me.

I don't know how many biscuit recipes I've tried through the years, but there is always room for more than one in my book and this one pretty much gets top billing. The crew raved about them and they received the cowboy stamp of approval which is very high praise indeed!


So, thank you Tina, aka Mommy's Kitchen, for sharing this recipe! The only thing I did differently was to grate the butter into the flour and I never have self rising flour so I added the baking powder and salt. I also doubled the recipe because cowboys love their biscuits!

I'm adding my version of the recipe here because I want to keep a record of recipes on my blog for when I have it printed out for the kids, but the link above will take you to Tina's site...she has lots of helpful details and tips for making these successfully if you're a beginning biscuit baker. These are fluffy and tender on the inside and they have a wonderful crust.

Buttermilk Biscuits

4 1/2 C flour
7 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 C cold butter
2 C buttermilk

*Mix flour, baking powder. and salt in bowl. Grate 1 C cold butter into flour. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to mix butter into flour. Pop bowl into fridge for a bit. (next time...tomorrow...I'm going to put it in overnight so I can sleep in a few minutes more 😁). Add buttermilk and stir gently with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Dump out onto floured surface and pat dough out into a rectangle (about 1 1/2" thick). Fold over onto itself a few times. Pat out again, gently, and fold over again. Pat out once more and cut with biscuit cutter. Do not twist cutter or your biscuits will not rise as well.
Put biscuits on parchment lined or greased baking pan with biscuits touching. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes. Slather with honey or jam or gravy and sit back and savor the magic. 😋

This morning I made my breakfast pizza, bacon, biscuits - with butter, jam, and honey - and fruit.
Dinner is Barbecue Sandwiches, corn on the cob, coleslaw, roasted potatoes, and jalapeno poppers with Pea Pickin' Cake for dessert. The Pea Pickin' Cake is posted here:



Dinner has been served, the dishes have been washed, and I'm heading back into the kitchen to start on tomorrow's dessert: Buster Bar Dessert...it uses Oreo's for the crust. See? Temptation. 

8 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Biscuits should have a food group of their own! I ❤️ them.

Pauline said...

Looks like your branding is going smooth and easy, with very expert helpers of course. You probably have a waiting list of guys wanting to work just to enjoy your cooking!
You've hit one out of the ball park with these two recipes! Can't wait to try time. I subscribe to Southern Living, but I've missed these recipes, so glad you posted them! I've got to make a pumpkin pie this morning, so the Pea Pickin' Cake will have to wait a day or so. Your cowboys probably wouldn't like it, but we had an antipasto supper last night, all raw veggies, baby spinach, asparagus, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, some cheese and hard salami, and a few pickled peppers for Ken and olives for me. Dressing a mixture of EVOO, apple cider vinegar, a bit of sugar and some catsup with a bit of seasoning. So good.

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin! You are going to have to have one strong will to stay away from all those yummy desserts. Those biscuits do look good.

Donna said...

Your cooking is to die for! My best friend in school was a farm kid and I loved going over to her house to eat!!! Her mom made everything from scratch and when they had crews to help cut silage, her mom would cook Sunday dinners everyday! Of course my friend and her sisters had to help out! They also churned their own butter which I never knew there was a difference in butters but there is! Your pictures made my mouth water and brought back a lot of happy memories! Thank you! My friend's mom was also a hand piecer and hand quilter! I sure wish I knew where she found the time to do all that she did and raise five kids too!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Now I am hungry

Janet O. said...

Your biscuits look amazing--just like a "Mile High" biscuit (that is the name of the last biscuit recipe I used before my celiac diagnosis) should look! Oh, I miss biscuits, and these are making my mouth water!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Buttermilk biscuits are delicious! Yours looks mouth tempting delicious.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

We had dinner tonight with our Florida friends who are visiting and enjoying the cool weather. While eating, we talked about chocolate gravy and biscuits. They've never had that delightful breakfast experience, so guess what I'll be making? Going to try your biscuit recipe. I never have self rising flour on hand either. I'm always interested in what you are fixing the cowboys. Hate the getting up at 3:30am part. Please don't call me.....LOL!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...