Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Sewing Again

On Sunday I had big plans to spend some time in the sewing room, but I was just too wilted after my week-long cooking marathon. I felt a lot like Skeet:


I cleaned like mad on Saturday afternoon even though I desperately wanted to take a nap, but I knew I'd never relax on Sunday unless everything was set to rights. There are enough leftovers in the fridge and deep freeze for all week and Sunday was nap day with a little laundry thrown in so I didn't feel like a complete slug. I curled up with some fun reading material  that arrived during the week:


DH is helping the neighbors 3 days this week so he'll have more trudging out to the barn to saddle up his horse in the middle of the night mornings. I get up with him and make his coffee although he tells me not to each morning, but I can't go back to sleep.

However, that does leave me time to sew! I have to go to work at the sale barn on Mondays, but there's a lot of sewing time between the hours of 3 a.m. when he leaves and 8 a.m.

When our girl was home a few weeks ago visiting a good friend and his dad, who was in the hospital, she asked if I had a quilt to give to his dad. Those hospitals are cold and their blankets leave a lot to be desired. Of course I had a quilt and Michael loves it! However, I only had one that was really suitable for a fella. That made me think I needed to make a few so I started browsing through my fabrics and patterns. This pattern from Sew Emma caught my eye a while back and I finally ordered it:


And I started pulling fabrics. I didn't realize how hard it was to procure a group of fabrics for a guy. I can easily pull together a western or patriotic or hunting/fishing collection, but a random grouping proved more difficult from my stash. I settled on blues and reds and browns. Many of my fabrics are tone on tone, but this seemed to need some fabrics with a little movement and I struggled to find 15, but I dug deep and pulled what I thought would work, I did pick up 1 red and another with all three colors in town to round things out:


And blocks came together quickly:


Looking at the above photo, I like the look of the red plaid and I think this would be wonderful in all plaids. Isn't it fun how we never run out of quilts we want to make? 😁 Hopefully I'll get this pieced into a top during the week as our girl told me about a dear 80-yr old gentleman that sells honey 7 days a week and I ordered a honey/bee collection of fat quarters:


I just need to decide on a pattern:

because I think the Honey Man needs a quilt. 😄

8 comments:

Donna said...

Skeet looks worn out too! I can't believe all the cooking you do! I love your idea of having extra quilts around for giving away. I need to do that too! Please keep us updated on the honeybee quilt and I would not be surprised if the elderly man cries when he receives his quilt! That's going to be a cute quilt!

Anonymous said...

You are such a generous and loving person. With all the work you did cooking and feeding a gaggle of workers, your first day to yourself and you are still taking care of others. May blessings abound in your life, you are a blessing to others.

Dorian said...

What a great quilt Karin, I really like that red plaid too. It's so nice you are finding time to quilt this week. You can get a lot done in 3 early morning hours :) Have fun with the bee quilt.

Tired Teacher said...

Well done! The fabrics you found in your stash made a wonderful quilt, and I do think that pattern would look fabulous in all plaids.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Skeet looks plum tuckered out--maybe we should all take a page from Skeet's book and take a rest break.

Nancy said...

Gorgeous quilt, Karin. I love the fabrics and colors you chose: perfect for a man. I'm impressed with your pinwheel corners, the ones where 8 pieces of fabric and 4 diagonal seams meet. I stitched just one block today with those corners and had to unstitch it twice before I thought it was good enough--not perfect but good enough. Surely the honey man will love a bee quilt!

Lindah said...

Aww, that is so sweet: the honey man needs a quilt. That will encourage him, I'm sure.
I like that red plaid, too. It lends a richness to the entire slate of fabrics. Good work; good plans; good, caring heart.
BLessings!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think that top turned out great! Great fabric pull - and aren't you sweet - can't wait to see the honey quilt ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...