Monday, October 29, 2018

Tired of Sewing

Now, don't fuss at me or ban me from the quilting community or turn me in to the quilt police. I know no-one ever has enough time to sew, but DH was away this past weekend and I discovered that one can sew too much. DH's dad, who is 81, had his elk hunt and DH went with him. They hunt horseback in the mountains back out and as remote as they can get. DH would really likes to pack in a camp - tent and all, but although his dad is spry for 81, his tent camping days are behind him. Still, it's hard to beat several days in the mountains, horseback and after the overload DH has been carrying on the ranch, time in the mountains with his dad is welcome.

 Skeet and I stayed behind to hold down the fort. I am a certified hermit, but this house is too big without DH and I did not like it one bit. I still didn't sleep in. There are chores to tend to when you have cattle and horses and chickens and dogs although choring in one's pajamas may be a tad unconventional. It's been wet and muddy here and the pens have been downright mucky and at 7:00 in the morning jammies are perfectly acceptable when paired with Muck boots
.

I have spent zero time in the kitchen, cleaning up leftovers in the fridge and odds and ends in the deep freeze when I wanted something to eat. I cleaned house, walked with Skeet, played with kitties, cleaned out feed bunks at the barn, cleaned out the chicken coop, caught up on episodes of The Great American Read,

                         

and sewed...a lot. Or a lot for me. He left on Thursday night and it was Saturday night before I made my way into my sewing room, but once I got started, I made progress. I finished all my blocks for my Scrappy Christmas Quilt and pieced the top:


A week earlier, I was in town getting a windshield replaced because this happened:


And my friend C hauled me around while it was being replaced. Of course that meant fabric shopping was on the list. We were both in search of bits and pieces for projects. We saw this:


And we both HAD to have some. Of course that led to more fabric hunting for coordinates. It's a vicious cycle. We found a cute navy, but I wanted to see what else I had at home. I hadn't a clue about a pattern - sound familiar? - but a few days later I came up with an idea so I pulled coordinates from my stash and began sewing. I made it this far:

                             

I'm wondering if the arrows are too big and I may make them in a smaller version. I still have a few other colors to add to the mix. I know I want 3 rows on the top and probably 2 on the bottom.

And if you're going to start 1 project, why not start 2?  😊I really need to empty some project bins and I've had a stack of Farmers Market fat quarters stowed away for 7 or 8 years. I think I want to pair it with this black and white dot - it really seems to make the colors pop:

                            

But then I think if I pair it with something like this, it'll give my project more of a rustic - farmers market feel:


 and I'm thinking of using the same design as I used for this top:


So silly though, because I have 20 fat quarters and that's probably enough to make 2 different quilts so I pressed all the fat quarters and started cutting and sewing. I'll make a few blocks and see where it takes me. I feel like I accomplished quite a bit, but I was VERY ready for DH to be back. And yes, his Dad brought home an elk. 

10 comments:

Dorian said...

LOL Karin, I know exactly what you mean. You start out thinking how nice the quiet time and sewing time is going to be, then after a day or so, you want your honey back and things to be like 'normal'. Your projects are looking great.

Anonymous said...

I think quilters need to quilt faster because I can tell you that with time passing/age ALL of us hit great lengths of time where no quilting goes on. Enjoy your time away and like the fabruc purchases. My mantra of later is "do nothing but do it well." I LOOK at pictures of quilts if that counts.

Tired Teacher said...

You accomplished a lot between the outside chores, sewing, and windshield repairs.

Violet said...

I hear you. I attend two quilting bees every week and I would never say this out loud to any of my quilting buddies...but yes...sometimes I'm just not in the mood for sewing or quilting. And I get it about the husband being gone. Mine travels quite a bit for business. He just left this morning. I am a die hard homebody. Nothing better than puttering around the house - especially on a rainy day. I don't have any farm animals to feed - unfortunately. But I have been sitting here looking at farm properties out in the country! Love your blog. Thank you for the time and effort you put into it.

Joy said...

Love your blog! Glad you were able to get a little sewing time. I love that quilt with the diamonds. Would you share the name of it?

Sherrill said...

WOW!! You actually worked while the cat was away instead of just playing! But then I suppose you do HAVE to do some of your chores. Love those teepees and I like the black polka dot with the fruits/veggies. It's been 6 yrs since DH passed and I still wish he'd come back as it's hard pretty much always being alone.

Natasha said...

I really love that quilt in the last photo! Would like to make one sometime.
Hehe and i often chore in pjs! Some mornings just not ready to get ready for the day lol
Darn critters wake up toooo early!

Janet O. said...

You have such a good eye! Love the arrows with the teepee fabric! Smaller might look good, but it would also be more work. Hmmm, what to do? :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like you balanced it all just fine!!
PS - we always laughed at the times we wore our jammies under our coveralls to feed - and of course -those are ALWAYS the times someone shows up, or we need to call the vet.... ha ha

Shelly said...

I think choring in jammies and muck boots is perfectly acceptable (cos it happens around here nearly every morning)!! I'm glad hubby's hunt went well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...