Saturday, October 20, 2018

Under the Needle: October

2 weeks of Fall Cow Works has kept me out of the sewing room, but I love this life and there is more to it than sewing. Still, as a quilter, I am always thinking about what I want to work on next and adding to that list...that very long list...that seems to grow longer all the time. I keep a binder with patterns and ideas I have found online, in magazines, or shared by friends:


And a basket with purchased patterns and a few of my favorite books:


No shortage of inspiration!

This month I finished stitching up this top:


It uses 3 1/2" squares because I was using scraps, but I can't wait to make another one using 5" squares. I love the design....simple, cute, fast. I didn't use a pattern so I can't link anything.

Then I made this top (the stripe on the right of the photo is the backing)


using a great pattern made in EQ7 and sent to me by my blog buddy, Dorian, who blogs over at Ridge Top Quilts, when I was contemplating ideas for this quilt:


I need another baby quilt and this will be perfect...thank you Dorian! Now I am working on these blocks:


I started this last year. I wanted a scrappy Christmas quilt and have gathered Christmas pieces for years.


The pattern is in this magazine from 2013:


The 9-patches have been my leader-ender pieces lately, but then one afternoon I just listened to a couple podcasts and before I knew it, I had them all stitched and pressed::

                            

Hopefully I'll get the sashings stitched in and have a pieced top before the end of the month.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I have a binder with all my quilt ideas too. I also have the "Saddle Tramp" pattern saved. I thought it would make a great QOV because of the stars. Love all your tops and quilts you finished; especially the first one. I have tried listening to music and podcasts while sewing but I make too many mistakes. The only thing I can listen to is classical music because there is no singing. I find it relaxing and I don't make nearly the mistakes if I am singing or following a story line.

Dorian said...

Glad you're finding some time to sew my Friend. Your quilts are all coming out so great! Glad you liked the pattern, any time :) Are you done with Fall cow works now?

Tired Teacher said...

One shelf in my stash closet has binders of patterns - many I've used and others for "someday." I really need to go through all the pattern files on my computer and delete those I'll never use. Love the Christmas blocks. I may borrow your idea, as I have a bin of Christmas fabric.

Janet O. said...

I love Marcie's Saddle Tramp pattern, too.
You have a bunch of lovely patterns in the works.
That is going to be a fun Christmas quilt.

Natasha said...

🙃 my sis dorie is quite creative!
I use a binder and those clear sleeves as well. Now i have three! One is for the BOM projects i participate in.

Doniene said...

Awesome! Your quilts are always fun and cheery! Just like you!

Blessings and hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...