Friday, May 24, 2019

Road Trip

Last Tuesday I spent some time in the air. I spent the week with my Mom to celebrate her 80th birthday. I'm not a huge fan of flying, but I came prepared.


It's been a long time since I made any progress on my EPP stars and this was the perfect portable project. My mom didn't want anyone to make a fuss about her birthday even though turning 80 is fuss -worthy. She said she was planning to run away on her birthday so I planned a little road trip for us.


Anyone recognize where we visited?


We enjoyed browsing through Magnolia Market:


And then spent a couple of hours poking through the venders at Spice Market:


I didn't need a thing, but I couldn't resist this little list pad and kitchen towel:


We ate at the hotel and the food was absolutely amazing - I ordered the Porcini Chicken Roulade ( chicken breast stuffed with creamed spinach and mushrooms topped with white wine cream sauce. Served with Parmesan risotto and vegetables. )


The next morning we ate brunch

                                     

at Magnolia Table:


The food was wonderful, but the thing that stood out the most was how very kind the staff was. I don't ever recall conducting business with a company where the employees were so attentive and personable. After we enjoyed a cupcake and cookie from the bakery, we loaded up and headed to Tyler, Texas to visit the rose garden that is supposed to look like this


Alas, this is what greeted us.


The recent rains had decimated the blooms, but we enjoyed the few that survived:


And simply enjoyed our time together:


That night we ate at a beautiful restaurant called The Grove. I feel like all we did was eat on this trip! We ended the evening by celebrating the birthday girl with a creme brule sampler


And she didn't quite outrun her birthday as we returned home on Saturday to find that friends and neighbors decorated anyway


I'm an infrequent traveler and I was surprised by the number of folks in the airport at 4:30 in the morning:


The neighbors are early risers and they took me to the airport on Sunday morning. I didn't want mom to have to get up that early, but moms will be moms and she was up anyway, packing me a sandwich. 😄


I'm so glad we were able to spend the week together and I'm very grateful that my mom is still active and in good health and willing to let her daughter drag her around on occasion.

11 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what fun!!! That looks like such a great trip!!!

Shelly said...

What a great trip! Definitely a fuss-worthy event. I'm so glad you can still do things with your mother, and that she likes to go. Such great memories to make, even if the roses were a bust. That's a memory right there!

OhioLori said...

What AWESOME Heart Memories you made together!!! Was fun seeing where you went & things you ate...and fun you shared!! :) Thanks for sharing with us too...

Jennie in GA said...

What a lovely birthday celebration...for both of you.

Sherrill said...

How SWEET!! I know your mom was so happy to see her girl and you guys look like you had a fun-filled day! You were just down the road a piece from here. So happy the decorations greeted you guys at the door!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry the roses weren't co-operating. My husband works at The Grove, lunches, and I'm always happy to read that customers enjoy it.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Hope I look as good as your Mom on my 80th birthday. Happy the two of you were able to share this special time together

ytsmom said...

I love that your 80-yo Mom packed you a sandwich for the plane!! I was surprised when we flew into DFW around 6 AM, and not much was going on. Guess you never know!!

Lindah said...

Bless you! Your Mom looks like she is enjoying the trip together. I don't know where Magnolia Market is, but it looks like a fun place to visit. I agree that 80 is a fuss-worthy occasion. I turned 80 about the same time, and I can't believe it. Where did all those years go?

Dar in Mo said...

Your mother is a very young looking 80 year old. What a fun trip and lots of good looking meals to boot.

Tired Teacher said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your Mom. I think the trip was the ideal way to celebrate her 80th.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...