Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Here We Go Again

On Monday we were 2 people short at the sale barn and although that may not be a big deal for some businesses, at the sale barn it throws everything into a tailspin. Our boss had to leave to attend her aunt's funeral and add to that the fact that my computer wasn't working and we ended up starting the sale 45 minutes late. Patience is not one of a livestock producer's / buyer's strong suit. 😉 However, it was just an unusually nutty Monday. I had to buy groceries after work because I was feeding a crew again for 4 days and I was setting my alarm for 2:30.

Storms, tornadoes and hail have been swirling around us all week and thankfully we've only had rain. I was almost home by 8:30 p.m. but the closer I got to the ranch, the darker the skies became. The sky had an eerie purple cast to it as these rainbows appeared:


And DH helped me carry in groceries in the rain. I only bought a few things because I was just too wiped out to get everything on my very long list, it was getting late, and the radar was looking like this.


We both just really needed showers and sleep, but he was concerned about the rain. If we got too much, we'd have to call off the works. So we paced and consulted the radar and paced some more. Then the electricity went out. So we fretted and finally went to bed and tried to sleep. Next morning - no electricity. Sigh. Here we go again.



This happened last time we worked too: A Four Quilt Night
We only had 0.4" overnight, but they were branding 140 hd on the East end - 14 miles away, and if it was too wet, they wouldn't be able to get trailers to the pens. And we had showers that added up to 1.7" in the previous few days. It all worked out, and the electricity came back on just after 3 p.m. yesterday. It was out for 18 hours which was 18 hours less than last time. It's sure no fun cooking for the crew on the fly like that, but they are all good sports and no-one went hungry although I missed my oven. I get to sleep in until 3 on Wednesday! Let's hope I'll get to make biscuits for the boys!

5 comments:

Dorian said...

Oh beautiful sky/rainbows Karin! We had a Tstorm roll thru here a week or so ago that looked like that. Double rainbow almost right over our heads. Sorry about the power, do you have a gas stove that you use? Have a great day!

Shelly said...

Oh, the storms! I do NOT like them. That's a nasty radar picture! But all too common lately. And I continue to be amazed that we have not lost power during any of them!

Jennie in GA said...

Wow!! That’s a lot of challenges in a short period of time. Hope you finally got some sleep!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

As usual, you were the woman of the hour and made it through!! I admire your abilities, Karin. Hope things ease up for you and some of the pressure is off as the weekend gets closer. What else is on the menu?? 😁⛈🌈

Shelljo said...

I understand! My oven's been out for over a month! I feel your pain! (DH finally looked at it yesterday. Heating element broken in two spots. We've ordered a new one.) I can't tell you how many times I think, "I'll make X." A few hours later... "Crap! The oven doesn't work I can't make X!" Annoying! Glad your's is back online!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...