Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Loaded Scalloped Potatoes

Warning: If you're following a Keto or Low Carb eating plan, exit out of this post now.

I made these for the boys on Wednesday and let's just say they raved about them. Well, cowboys don't really rave, but they did in their own, very complimentary way. Let's just say that I haven't met a potato I didn't like, but lately DH and I have been cutting down on carbs and potatoes have been rare so I don't know if this tasted SO good because I've been missing potatoes or if this is truly the best scalloped potatoes known to mankind. I'm going with the second choice. I found this recipe HERE. I love everything I've tried from Jo. The woman can COOK now. And after I made this, I got to looking and I saw almost identical recipes floating around - Delish has one as well, but I started with Jo's so she gets the credit. I left out the nutmeg, but pretty much followed the rest of the recipe although I added more pepper and I didn't bake mine quite as long because the boys showed up earlier than I had anticipated, but it was perfect anyway.


Loaded Scalloped Potatoes

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 Tbsp flour
2 C low sodium chicken broth
2 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 lbs potatoes, sliced very thin
4 C cheddar cheese, grated
12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
2 Tbsp chives, chopped

*Preheat oven to 400. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until garlic is aromatic. Sprinkle flour over butter/garlic and whisk well until combined. Add the chicken broth and whisk until it thickens. Add heavy cream and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the sauce comes to a simmer and thickens. Remove from heat and set aside. Start layering by ladeling a couple spoonfuls of sauce onto bottom of pan. Spread 1/3 of the sliced potatoes. Top with 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the bacon. Continue layering with potatoes, sauce, cheese, bacon. You will have 3 layers. Sprinkle with chives. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 30 more minutes. or until the potatoes are tender.

*I'm not a fan of pre-shredded cheese or pre-packaged bacon bits - I know they are tempting, but I do take the extra time to cook my bacon and grate my own cheese. I think it makes a big difference.

                                       

2 comments:

ytsmom said...

Well, why wouldn't they be delicious with a pound of cheese, bacon, and a pint of cream? LOL!! Here is a recipe I think your bunch might enjoy sometime:
Durango Potato Casserole, it's got a bite to it, which I'm sure the guys would like. BTW, I love the fabric you picked up on your aquisition trip!
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/durango-potato-casserole/

BTW, I love the fabric you picked up on your acquisition trip!

Rain Barnes said...

I am planning our menu and am in a rut. I can always count on something you've posted to get me going with menu ideas. I think I'll try this scalloped potato recipe this year. Hope you are as good as new after your procedure! ❤️

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...