Saturday, June 29, 2019

Monkey Business Quilt

I struggle with finding ways to use panels - they are never square, but one morning, back in January, I couldn't sleep so I wondered into my sewing room at 3 a.m., pulled out some very seasoned fabric and trimmed these little monkeys I've had for years:


It was time to figure out a way to turn these into a quilt. I decided to frame them and I was tickled when I dug through my brown bin and found a good match. I KNOW I have too much fabric, but sometimes it comes in handy! I chose this pattern that I added to my notebook when a good friend and I exchanged binders - this was one of the patterns in her binder:

                                                        

So I dug out coordinating fabrics and commenced to making blocks to alternate with my monkeys:

                                                        

Once the top was pieced, I pieced the back using a coordinating fabric I had that probably would have been cute as  border, but I didn't have enough, so it found it's way into the back, making the back


as cute as the front:


Jackie quilted leaves across it with a perfect tan thread:


And I pulled a green print from my stash for the binding:


It's 45" x 54"

                                        

and I hope these little monkeys


are as tickled to be out of that bin as I am with how this came together:




14 comments:

Dorian said...

Such a cute quilt! Great job.

Dlindgren said...

Great choice, and darling quilts. I enjoy you posts, a girl from California.

Violet said...

I'm curious...how long have you been quilting? You have a beautiful sense of color and design. Something I struggle with and I've been at it for about 3 1/2 years. I have a stack of panels I don't know what to do with either. I just ordered two books from Amazon that were very helpful and two that weren't. Clever Quilts and Clever Quilts Encore by Susan Teegarden Dissmore are full of patterns that use panels, borders and theme prints that even I can understand. They were about $5 each, used. One of the not-so-useful books encouraged me to design my own pattern and even provided graph paper in the back. Nope...not this girl. I barely passed general math in high school!

Tired Teacher said...

It's adorable! Having a fabric stash certainly comes in handy.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Cute quilt! A wonderful to use the panel, problem solved.

Shelly said...

Well, that came out just darling!

Kigwit said...

This is a great use of panels! I'm bookmarking this post for the future.

Lindah said...

such a creative way to use the monkey panel. I like those little guys. I like them so much that I made an ironing board cover with some yardage bought for that purpose. They give me a smile whenever I pull out the board. I'm sure whoever receives that quilt be smiling, too.

Charlotte said...


Beautiful quilt, Perfect in every way.

Charlotte

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is adorable!

Janet O. said...

Well, I'd say you did an excellent job of using this panel! It couldn't get any cuter, and the coordinating fabrics in this setting really click!!

Unknown said...

I am looking to find this monkey panel fabric and cannot find it online. Do you know the name of the panel and who makes it? I have five blocks of this, but want more.

Lisa said...

I love the quilt. I have only 5 of the blocks that I purchased years ago and I wanted more, but cannot find the fabric. Do you know the name of the fabric and would you email it to me?

Unknown said...

Do you have the cutting instructions that you used for the monkey business quilt you made?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...