Friday, January 17, 2020

Color Box Quilt

In 2011 I saw this quilt on this blog: Lollyquiltz

                                           

And I knew I wanted to make one like it. Problem was, I was a new quilter and had yet to collect a fabric stash of colorful scraps. However, that problem was quickly remedied as fabric was purchased, cut, and stitched into quilt after quilt...after quilt. I soon had a bin overflowing with promise.



And then I set myself a goal in 2016 to empty the bin. I made this quilt from it:

                                               

And still had enough left for a second quilt. I finally began making blocks:


And once I got it pieced into a top, I took it to Jackie. She chose a pattern I love called Pretty Paisley:


My quilt holders tried in vain to make it behave:


But the wind simply wouldn't cooperate:


I backed it with the remainder of this green and white print that I also used on a previous quilt and I bound it with a solid navy:


In an attempt to capture a photo of the whole quilt, I tried in indoor shot - I like the stained glass effect. It doesn't show it's true color, but makes me think I ought to make one using cream-based neutrals or shirting fabrics with reproduction scraps:


Dragging the step stool out to the chicken yard was my last option:


At 74 x 86, it's the perfect snuggle size. I finally got a shot:


And my oldest UFO is now ready to be loved.

9 comments:

Sherrill said...

Beautiful!! I love the photos of the quilt holders battling the wind (looks like the wind won but those pix are too cute!).

Tired Teacher said...

Your quilts confirm just how much I LOVE scrappy quilts! Quilts made with matchy matchy fabrics always seem bland and lack depth. Love all the photos!

Dorian said...

Oh lovely Karin! LOL, love all your photos. The wind sure can play havoc, huh?! I'm glad you finally got your scrappy quilt made. I've really been loving scrappy quilts this past year.

Anonymous said...

this is great

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lovely quilt and I bet that bib still contains enough scraps for several more quilts!

Shelly said...

Haha! Love the outtakes. That is exactly how photo shoots go around here, and there's usually a lot of animals involved because they think they need to help. The quilt is super cute!

Chantal said...

Congratulations! You manage to get a great shot! Congratulations on this beautiful finish. I love it and you just might have answered my prayers. My box of 2.5 inches squares is full and just yesterday I was thinking "if I start a new quilt this year, it should be to use up this box". Isn't funny how things work sometimes? Now, do I have enough white? Hmm! Let me check. ;^)

Violet said...

What size would you say those blocks are? They look like pretty small nine patches. I have a collection of precut mini charm packs that might work well. I replied to your email a couple of weeks ago but I'm afraid it got deposited in your spam box. Can you not respond to the comments on this page?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Stupid wind ha ha! it is a beautiful quilt!! so glad it is finished and ready to love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...