Friday, January 3, 2020

A Quilt For Our Boy

It's been a while since I made a quilt for our boy, but I finally made him one and gave it to him for Christmas. I made him one when he left for college and another while he was deployed to Afghanistan, but it was time he had another. His favorite color is blue so I collected fabrics here and there for about 6 months.


Then it took me a while to settle on a pattern. I even had a number of blocks made for one pattern and then switched patterns in midstream, finally choosing this pattern from Jaybird Quilts:


 The blocks came together quickly, but then I hurt my knee, had knee surgery, and Fall Cow Works arrived so I set things aside for a bit.



I finally found a day to devote to getting the top pieced and passed it on to Jackie:


She quilted it using a pattern called Quirky - I love the movement it added to quilt:


Labeled and ready to gift:


I backed it using this great wide plaid and bound it in a solid blue with a little help 


from Skeet:


This is my last finish of 2019, but I needed a quilt holder for photos. It finishes at 64 x 85 - the perfect size for kicking back in the recliner during a football game:


Made with love


8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I wondered what kind of quilt he got when you showed the Christmas photos!L Thanks for sharing the details now. His quilt is SEW lovely!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Thats a great looking quilt for a guy!! Thanks for more quilting inspiration!

Violet said...

Good Job! I haven't dealt with triangles too much...they seem to be a challenge for me. I too have started a quilt with one pattern and ended up with a different one. I also learned the hard way not to cut out all of the pattern pieces at once. I cut over 1,300 pieces for a quilt, made one block, then decided I didn't like it. Ay-yi-yi. I still have them all and maybe they will come out of solitary confinement one day. Thank you for all you do-love your blog.

I'm just saying: said...

That quilt looks great~! Well done.

Sherrill said...

That's a BEAUTIFUL quilt and I'm sure he loved it!! Gorgeous pattern..not one I'd attempt (those triangles..yikes). Love the pix of Skeet with the quilt. Tell your boy thanks for his service! Great label, too.

Dorian said...

Great quilt Karin! I've been wanting to make a triangle quilt for awhile now, and just haven't done it.. maybe this year :) It looks great in all those blues.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Super Great quilt - i like that Skeet is putting a little love into it - ha ha!

QuiltGram said...

Hi, I just found your blog this morning as I’m enjoying my cup of tea. I love seeing the quilt done and in the fabrics that you chose. The quilting is perfect for the quilt. Bet Tyler was quite happy to open this gift! I also really like the label on his quilt. Great scripture verse. And I see Skeet... is he a Cattle Dog? Asking as we have two, both are blue healers. Cora is 5 and Rylee is 2. I have a Morgan/Quarter horse cross, Noel and the dogs are the best farm dogs we have ever had. Also the fires time we have had cattle dogs as didn’t even know about them until just before we got Cora.

We live in Maine so its 9 degrees out right now, snow on the ground and another storm heading our way on Sunday. So, definitely there will be sewing in my day with it so cold outside. Lol, I do make it out at least 5 times a day as the girls need their Kong play time. Besides, I love the invigorating lift being outside gives me to get back to work when inside. Since we have four boys, I’m going to keep this pattern in mind. You did a wonderful job with the quilt. Congratulations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...