Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I made this on Saturday and couldn't remember if I'd previously posted it, but after a search, I couldn't find it so you get Chicken Tortilla Soup today. This really is so good and it's a fast recipe for a soup. I imagine you could fix this in the Instant pot or Crock-pot, but I just whipped mine up on the stove this time. I don't recall the original source for this recipe. I scribbled it down from somewhere a few years ago. There are a thousand versions flying around. We tried a creamy version last year, but we like this one better because it freezes well. I'm not a food blogger so you don't get all the detail food bloggers are known for, but although I love the story behind quilts and recipes, I don't like wading through all the 'this is why you should make this' and 'this recipe will change your life because...". I know that's their job and they do it well. If someone is unfamiliar with or new to cooking, those details are greatly appreciated, but I remember reading a post once about how to boil potatoes and it went on and on. Just the facts ma'am - please and thank you. 😉 And part of the fun of cooking is making it your own. Want to use crushed tomatoes? Be my guest. Corn makes it more colorful. Throw some in. 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

8 chicken tenderloins (yes, you can use breasts or thighs - I just buy tenderloins at Sam's and keep                                                 them in the deep freeze as they are handy and cook up quickly)

2 TBSP olive oil

1 1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp salt

1 C diced onion

1/4 C diced green pepper

1/4 C diced red pepper

3 cloves minced garlic

1 can Rotel

32 oz low sodium chicken stock

3 TBSP tomato paste

4 C water

2 cans black beans, drained (I used black eyed peas because that's all I had)

4 TBSP cornmeal or masa 

Corn tortillas cut into strips

*Mix cumin, chili powder, granulated garlic, pepper, and salt.  Brown and cook chicken in 1 TBSP olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with a little of the mixed seasoning as it is cooking. Remove chicken from pan once it is cooked through and shred. Add 1 TBSP of olive oil to same pan and saute onions and peppers for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute for a minute or two. Add the rest of the spice mix. Stir in shredded chicken. Add tomato paste, chicken stock, Rotel, and water. Stir in beans. Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Mix cornmeal or masa with small amount of water and stir into soup. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving. Top your soup with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, and avocado. 

4 comments:

Janna and Mike said...

I think my Cowboy would even eat this chicken soup--he isn't a fan of chicken unless it's "disguised!" :) I too keep frozen tenderloins in the freezer and use them for everything.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Looks Yummy!! See you for dinner haha!

Carol in Texas said...

That’s the way I like to see a recipe…..ingredients and directions…..no wordy descriptions. On most food blogs, I punch the Jump to the Recipe button….hoping they have one. Otherwise you have to wade through lots of screens to get to the recipe you want to read! I’ll give this a try. It sounds good! Thanks. Love your blog!!!!

pbrenner said...

Looks delicious! This is one of my favorite soups to make in the winter :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...