Monday, January 16, 2023

Week Peek

 This past week filled up again. I'm not complaining because so far I've been too busy to get into any trouble. πŸ˜‰ We had a REALLY long day at the sale barn on Monday. We sold over 2400 hd of cattle and the sale ran for just over 12 hours. 

I don't know where all these cattle are coming from - I thought we sold them all last year. LOL. Our eyes were crossed by the time the last hd was sold after 9 p.m. and it was close to 11 by the time I fell into bed. At this age, it takes me a day to recuperate, but my recuperation day looked like this

DH was out early and he was armed with the tree saw

I know it needs to be done, but it was all I could do to muster up the energy to start hauling the mess out into the horse lot - about 50 yards away. I worked on it for about 8 hours this week and I'm still not done

I know some of you will think that should be DH's job, but that's not the way things work on a ranch. Sure, he would do it if I were unable to, but he's busy cleaning out water troughs, fixing leaks, feeding cows, moving cattle, and shoeing horses, and that's pretty much the way his days look. I actually like working outside too. Our winter days are filled with brilliant sunshine and it seems a waste to spend them indoors. And hey, it's a pretty good workout. πŸ˜‰ But I WILL be glad when it's all cleaned up.

Thus far, our winter has been incredibly mild and that makes feed runs enjoyable. Look at those blue skies


I wish I had been standing in the bed of the truck for this shot in order to see the antelope better, but we are so thankful for the grass this year. I love watching the antelope fly across the pasture

On Thursday we left the house at 3:30 a.m. and drove 3.5 hours to have the flatbed and a grill guard put on the new ranch rig. If you're in the market for a horse trailer or flatbed, I can hook you up. These are good folks that build things right - we've been doing business with them for 10 years

It takes most of the day so they lent us a pickup and we drove 1.5 hours south to the next town and puttered around a little. Browsing through a bookstore is a rare, but favorite treat

As is a leisurely noon meal out

The flatbed was ready to roll at 4, and after another 3.5 hours and a time change as we crossed state lines, we pulled back into the ranch at 7. The old bed is still loaded because we sold it to a salvage yard and DH will take it in today

At this stage in life, driving like that just wears me out, but after more limb hauling, I did spend some time binding a quilt on Sunday although my hands hurt some from dragging tree branches.

 I'm not ready to grow old, but ready or not...😣 

Here's a shot of the sky (no filter or editing) as we were out tending to chores one evening. Pretty good way to close out the day.

4 comments:

Sherrill said...

Gosh! What a GORGEOUS sunset! I take pix all the time from my backyard but none quite as beautiful as yours. You guys both work so hard nearly every single day and at this point in my life, I don't think I could do it. But you two working side by side...life is good for you.

Donna said...

You two do more by noon than most people do in an entire day!

Ranch Mom said...

Its always so interesting to hear about ranch life so far from our life on the ranch in Florida. But even across the miles, we have so much in common. I totally understand what you mean about hauling limbs. Its a team effort around here also. Ranching isn't quite as glamourous as it looks on TV;) But I wouldn't change it for the world.

Jvdt said...

Farming and ranching is always a team effort. At this point, I’m the cook and hubby is the hard laborer. He still loves to farm and is able to, very thankful for that. Your sunset is beyond words. The Midwest has beautiful sunsets too. Love the peacefulness of farm life.
Take care!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...