Monday, January 30, 2023

Plaid Tail Feathers Quilt

 A few years ago I bought a fat quarter bundle of Moda's Dad's Plaids

I knew I wanted to use it with this pattern

After making this quilt

And this quilt


I knew I wanted one dedicated to plaids. I redrafted the pattern to decrease the block size to 9" and pulled plaids from my stash to scrap things up a bit:


I ended up with 45 different plaids. 90 blocks later I had enough for a 9x10 layout. I handed it off to Jackie and Sandy to quilt some magic into it using a Modernish #4 pattern with a Baguette colored thread

I don't know what it is about plaid, but boy howdy, do I love this quilt!


I used plaid on the back too because if you're going to make a plaid quilt, you may as well go all in:


I think I had a big grin on my face the entire time I worked on the binding. 


I probably should have made it a little smaller because  at 83 x 92 it's almost too big for a cuddle quilt. But then it occurred to me that it would be perfect as quilt #1 for the friend of ours that asked me to make a few quilts for him. I'm pretty smitten with this quilt so I had better get it to him before I become even more attached to it. Good thing I've got leftovers because if one plaid quilt brings this much joy, just imagine what making another one will do!

15 comments:

Andra Ridout said...

That is a fabulous quilt! Plaids are wonderful!

julieQ said...

I adore plaids too! There is something about the motion of the lines, the homespun, down to earth quality of plaids that I just love. Awesome quilt!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I LOVE the plaid quilt! The pattern works great with those fabrics. Have fun making another one, happy stitching!

Anonymous said...

A truly wonderful quilt - I especially like the plaid-ish (or is it really plaid) pale color. Which is nicely highlighted by your canine companion's lovely pale mottled chest and legs. Yep, better move that quilt out fast before it becomes too special to part with!

Happy end of January,

Ceci

Mary said...

I LOVE your plaid quilt. It looks so cozy and inviting.

vkh6210 said...

Love your plaid quilt. The smaller blocks are a great size.

Janet O. said...

Plaids make such a warm and inviting quilt. Your friend will love it, if you can bear to part with it. Well done!

Sherrill said...

VERY pretty! And I know he will love it and will be using it right away if your weather is anything like ours.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the plaids! Makes me want to find a good book, another coffee, and snuggle down deep.
Kathy

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I Love it -
I would have a hard time parting with it as well
(Unless it was just going to my front room haha)

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes i'd have difficulty parting with that as well...very nice indeed!

Angie said...

Ooooh boy, I LOVE these plaid quilts!! I need a plaid quilt in my life. Guess I better put it on my list and start collecting plaids.

Anonymous said...

Love your plaid quilt!! Awesome!

Lisa said...

As the others have said BEAUTIFUL!. I too love plaids. I made a similar quilt from an Eleanor Burns Book "Birds in Flight" I think. The finished block size is 6 inches. She has a method for doing the half square triangles that is absolutely perfect every time and quick. Looking forward to seeing your next project!

Jo Kramer said...

I LOVE this. It's making me think I should pull some of my upcycled shirts and make one!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...