Monday, April 24, 2023

You Make Me Smile Quilt

 In 2019 I stumbled upon this HST triangle quilt on Instagram and I fell for it hard. 

Handmade Myrth

I have a healthy collection of low volume prints and this is the perfect way to showcase them, but I'd be lying if I said I still didn't bring them home from time to time

 I intended to make this a long term leader-ender project, but once I sewed a few, I simply could not stop. I had so much fun pulling colored fabrics from my scraps and stash. Anything goes.

The HST's finish at 2 1/2".  I used my Easy Angle ruler and cut them from short strips. I like to nest my seams and this is what worked best for me and how I pieced the blocks. I just let everything fall where it fell. 

I finished piecing it in September 2020. There are so many fun fabrics in this quilt! 

And as much as I love the whole quilt, the fun really begins when you take a closer look. 

Jackie said that when Sandy was quilting it, she kept calling Jackie over, saying, "Look at this one!"...:and this one!"..."Oh, this one is so fun,"..."Come look at this one!". She used a pattern called Whisper. 

I ordered this fun wide backing from Missouri Star and used a turquoise print from my stash. 

I call this my You Make Me Smile Quilt because when I was piecing it, I would often break out in song: This song

I also sing this when I'm dancing around the kitchen a lot - it's one of my favorites! It's part of the song track of my life.

This quilt finishes at 74x82 and I'm seriously considering making another one because this one was just so much fun and now I want everyone in my life to have one!

8 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

I've been looking for HST quilts for my abundance of HST's collected over the years. This quilt would be perfect and could be resized for any size HST. And the song is perfect too! I had never heard it before. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love the quilt! Those triangles really pop against all the neutrals, a very bright and happy quilt!

Janna and Mike said...

Love that quilt! And I loved the song video!

Darlene said...

What a winner. Made me smile. I love low volume backgrounds. Need to add to the list. Thanks

Anne Kirby said...

I love that song!! Uncle Kracker should have been bigger. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one singing and dancing around the house!!

Kristie said...

I absolutely love this quilt!!!!! I'm gonna have to make one!
Kristie

Lisa S. said...

I love this quilt and I’m going to save it as inspiration. Well done! The fabric with googly-eyed goldfish is one of my all time favorites. I used the last of mine making masks in 2020. 🙁

celia ambrose said...

I love this bright and happy quilt. I have lots of scraps that would go right in there. Jo Kramer listed your link on her video using leftover triangles. Thanks for posting photos of your quilts to inspire your readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...