Friday, September 26, 2014

Irish Flower Garden Quilt

And here's my oldest UFO - finished!


 I started this quilt in November of 2010. I bought Eleanor Burns' Irish Chain book and began collecting 30's prints.


Looking back at these fabrics and my box of leftovers, I am still smitten with these prints.

I knew I wanted to add something in the empty spaces between the chains and hexagon flowers seemed to be a perfect fit so I commenced to learning English Paper Piecing and then I hand appliqued the flowers:


The finished quilt is 70" x 89". This was the second quilt I dropped off at Jackie's that needed custom quilting, which is why it's taken this long to finish. Again though, I did not need it for anything in particular. Jackie  has a fast turn around time if you need something quilted in a certain time frame, but I rarely need that. There are only 2 quilts I asked her to quilt a quickly. One I need in 7 weeks and she had it to me in a week and the other I needed ASAP for a little 5 yr old girl who was getting a new heart and she had that to me in 2 days. 99% of the time, I tell her to just put it on the back burner because I'm in no hurry and I know others might be. I told Jackie she could never, ever retire. :)

I like the little swirls she added to the border:


It took me a long time to settle on a backing and I didn't particularly care for the one I chose at the time, but I like it better now:


And I think this is the first time in 5 years that she hasn't had one of my quilts. So I hurried up and finished one up, pieced the backing and dropped it off... along with a dozen eggs. :)

This quilt feels fresh and sweet and reminds me of a bygone era before I was even born.


Can one be reminded of something before their time? I'm not sure if the 30's were a fresh and sweet time though. I am currently reading 'The Worst Hard Time' and I'm fairly certain I would not be strong enough to weather what people from that time endured.

I'm adding this one to the quilt ladder that is now full:


Wonder if Grandpa will mind making another one...or two. :)

13 comments:

Pauline said...

Beautiful! Adding the hexagon flowers is pure genius!

Vickie said...

It's really pretty Karin. I like what you did with the hexies....appliqueing was the way to go. I have hexaphobia, but I might could do that !

juliehallfeldhaus said...

I love the 30s prints. Could Grandpa make me a ladder too???!!! Your quilts so nice on it.

Unknown said...

Your quilt is beautiful. That is a perfect pattern for these prints. Thank you for sharing. I have a bundle of 30's prints and that book.

Nancy said...

You are going great guns with your ufo's, Karin. This one is just gorgeous. Congrats on your progress!

Janet O. said...

Congrats on your finish!
Love the ladder. : )

Dar said...

Congratulations on finishing your oldest UFO. That is one of the prettiest Irish chain quilts ever. What a clever idea to put hexies in those open spaces. I love it.

Dorian said...

Just beautiful Karin! I love Irish Chains, and this one is gorgeous. You did a lovely job with the flowers.

Shelly said...

Beautiful quilt! Love that scrappy binding. I wish I could say that my oldest UFO is finished. And I love your quilt ladder with all the quilts on it. Mine is leaned up in the back corner of the spare room until we get some more remodeling finished. I can't display any of my quilts just yet . . .

Nancy said...

A wonderful finish! Jackie's quilting complements your work but doesn't overpower it.

I love the quilt ladder and the quilts displayed on it. Very nice.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

30's repro prints bring back memories of flour sack dresses and quilts made by my grandmother.
Good design decision with the hexies!!! Looks great on your ladder, too!!!

Had a great trip to Colorado and thought of you when I'd see a ranch road disappearing in the distance with no house in sight.

Denise :) said...

This quilt is wonderful!! I love the idea of mixing the hexie flowers with the chain piecing! I love the 30's prints, too ... but I can never bring myself to buy them. I love them in projects, though. smh ;)

Sarah said...

Love the quilt. 30s fabric have such good, fresh colours. I think another quilt ladder or two would be a great addition. My Grandma (unfortunately no longer alive) was born in 1930 and had a terribly poor upbringing. It was a very tough time in Australia too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...