Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Spice Snickerdoodles

I'm sharing another recipe I found on Pinterest because it's simply too good not to share. If you like soft cookies and pumpkin...the wait is over and if you don't, you are missing out. :) And if you don't like pumpkin pie, chances are, you will still love these. And no,  I don't like pumpkin pie. Is that un-American?

I'm telling you... these are Fall in a cookie.

I made these on Sunday evening and took them to work on Monday. Let's just say these made it to my favorite cook book immediately and I'll be making them again... tomorrow.

I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice so I made my own from here. It could not be easier:

Pumpkin Pie Spice

4 tablespoons  ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
4 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves

This recipe is from Shelly, over at Cookie and Cups

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3 cups flour
  • Coating
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

How to Make
  1. Preheat oven to 375°
  2. In bowl of stand mixer cream butter and both sugars together for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in both egg and additional yolk into butter along with vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping the sides as necessary.
  4. Mix in Pumpkin Pie Spice, baking powder and salt until combined.
  5. Reduce speed on mixer to low and mix in flour until dough comes together.
  6. Chill dough for at least an hour.
  7. When ready to bake, line baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375°
  8. Mix coating ingredients (light brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice) together in a bowl, set aside.
  9. Roll dough into large balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and then roll into the sugar/pumpkin pie spice mixture, coating completely.
  10. Bake for 7-8 minutes until cookies are lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.

I did not use parchment paper and I baked mine for almost 15 minutes. I baked the first batch for the 8 minutes the recipe called for and they were not baked through. However, it might have helped if I had read the directions and baked them at 375° instead of  350° . :) 


I was skeptical about not using cream of tarter too. I've never seen a Snickerdoodle recipe without it, but fear not, you won't miss it. The recipe also states that this dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 1 hour. Don't skip this, otherwise the dough is too soft and you will fuss at it... and me, for not playing nice and refusing to shape itself into balls. Better yet, make the dough the night before.

I'm off to mix up another batch!


5 comments:

Nancy said...

I love pumpkin and will definitely try this recipe!

Janet O. said...

This sounds like a keeper! : )

Cascade Quilts said...

oh, this sounds yummy!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing this! I WILL be making these by this weekend! :)

Pauline said...

Can't wait to make these! Pumpkin is soooo good for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...