Thursday, April 26, 2018

Before We Fire Up the Branding Pot..


there's a lot that has to happen. DH is busy putting the crew together. Everyone needs to be on the same page and he tries to find open dates on the calendar that work for everyone. Last week his phone had an unfortunate run-in with his horse:


 Makes it a tad complicated to conduct business. He figures out what he needs for medicine/vaccine and gathers that together. The medicine box is resupplied with syringes and needles. Propane tanks are filled and pens are fixed.

And I begin to build my menu:


I've been doing this for 31 years and I fall back on the dishes that have stood the test of time, but it still takes me a couple of afternoons to pull it all together. By then, my menu is made. I have taken stock of my pantry and my grocery list has been finalized. And I take a deep breath for my trip to town to gather said groceries. I'll do that on Saturday.

That'll give me Sunday to cook up 10# of ground beef and 3 big roasts as well as the dessert and salsa for Monday. The preparations I make ahead of time are a big time saver.

We're supposed to have a big sale at the sale barn on Monday, but I'll have a short crew to feed...just 5, and I'll fix them breakfast and leave dinner in the crockpot.  Probably Tortilla Stack. I'll leave corn in another crockpot and salad in the fridge with chips and salsa on the side. And dessert. Always dessert. :)


I'll have a few extra in the bunkhouse this time around so it'll be 3 meals a day. However, most days leftovers are on the supper menu.

On Wednesday, I made a 4 hour round trip to pick up our beef:

                         

We've got 6 days of branding next week and then another 6 in June. That'll make a good dent in this.


But for now, I'm deep in menu mode and looking to add a few new things to the old standbys.

Yesterday we fixed a leak.


Well, DH fixed the leak.


I just supervised, or to be entirely honest, I just handed him things.


Fixing leaks isn't part of our pre-branding ritual. It's just part of everyday life around here.

After that, it was time to chore and then I was too tired to work on my menu. It was dark when we walked back to the house and I don't get a whole lot accomplished once the sun goes down. But I'll probably wake up hungry because there's a good chance I'll be dreaming about food tonight. :)


Photo courtesy of google images.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh would had loved to see the names of all your lucious looking dishes-- you don't have enough to do, do you?!

Tired Teacher said...

Looks like you have everything under control. I hope your DH was able to salvage all the information from his damaged phone.

Dorian said...

Hope your rested Karin, you have a lot of cooking to do! Did your dd help you when she lived at home?

Janet O. said...

Never a dull moment in your life!!

Sherrill said...

Makes me tired just reading that. At least it keeps you outta trouble!! LOL Cook like with all that cooking!

Pauline said...

They should make a movie about your branding operation, it would be a big hit!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Whew! You are one busy girl! Please share your tried and true recipes/meals

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow wow wow!! And the run in with the horse... oops - they are no so easy on cell phones

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...