Friday, April 13, 2018

Odds and Ends and a Little Bit of Fussing

In other words, just a little bit of everything thrown into one post. Last weekend we made a mad dash to Hamilton, Texas...about a 7 hour drive, to take a few more head of  roping cattle that didn't fit on the truck we sent out:

                          

Quick trip: we left Friday, changed a tire



or two

                                      

 attended the sale and 7 hours home on Saturday.


Like much of the country, New Mexico can't decide what season it wants to settle into this week. 32° one night and 94° for the high 2 days later, but Skeet seems to be taking it all in stride:


He's very perceptive and an attentive head of ranch security


And can I just take a moment to fuss about the recent changes taking place at the Walmart in town?
2 cashiers for the entire store in the middle of the afternoon:

                                              

With over $200 worth of groceries in my cart. I am not going through the self-checkout. Trying to save $$ by eliminating their cashiers is going to backfire when dishonest shoppers can easily not scan some of their groceries. And what about elderly customers? That self-checkout is not going to be easily navigated. Just makes no sense whatsoever.

This is the 2nd day we've been sandblasted:

                           

Makes it rather challenging to feed:

                           

40 mph sustained winds with 50-60 mph gusts for 2 days.

                           

Dirt in your teeth. Dirt in the air. Dirt in your coffee. Dirt everywhere.

                           

Needless to say, spring cleaning has been postponed. The wind is exhausting. Just ask Skeet


It just wears everyone plumb out

                     


Naps are taken very seriously around here:

                     

In the sewing room, stitching projects have been progressing amidst daily life

                    

and I'll be back with an update and a recipe in a day or two!

12 comments:

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Now I want a nap! :)

ytsmom said...

I did most of my shopping at Kmart, not groceries, but the other stuff. Now I have to go to Walmart. :(

Sherrill said...

MAN!! You guys are GO GO GO, no stopping 24/7/365!! I'd be serious dead meat! LOL We had the wind here, too, but thank heavens no dirt! Those mutts are hilarious!

Nancy said...

Oh, the wind! It would be so hard! And oh, that cute puppy sleeping in the crate! Those 7-hour drives are not fun, either. We do a 7-hour round trip to see our daughters occasionally and we're exhausted. I can only guess how you and your husband must have felt.

Dorian said...

Hi Karin! Oh my gosh, that wind/dust!!! how awful. I bet clean up is always a pain. I hate those self-checkouts, will not go thru on unless I have just one or two items and the lines are long AND I am in a hurry. lol It doesn't make any sense to me either... Glad you're getting in some sewing time!

Anonymous said...

That Skeet is a sweetheart.
Our WM now has someone who will shop for you...FREE. You register click on pictures of what you need on site...ANYTHING in the store and not just groceries, schedule a time, drive up and they load the car. You don't even have to get out of it. If anything out you get a bigger or nicer size like my daughter's small bacon that became a BOX of bacon and there's no extra charge. Only catch...order must be at least $50 oh and the very first one you get $10 off. For one who did NOT get the shopping gene...I am in SERIOUS LOVE.

Tired Teacher said...

Walmart is the same here, and I avoid shopping there for that very reason. Kmart closed here two years ago, so Walmart is the only game in town so to speak. IF I shop there it is early in the morning or late at night.

Nothing beats a good nap, and it looks like Skeet, Harvey, and Huck have it mastered.

Shelly said...

We've had ferocious wind here, too, and we live on top of a hill, but at least we have enough foliage to hold the dirt down for the most part. Uff! It was in the 80s here 2 days ago, we were under a tornado watch last night, more crazy wind today, and tomorrow we're supposed to get snow. It DOES wear you out! And I'm with you on the Walmart thing -- it ruins my day to have to go there, but around here, they're dang near the only game in town, and you have to drive over 30 minutes just to get there, so you try to make one stop do it. That puppy! So adorable -- and it looks like Skeet is giving the cats their marching orders!

Donna said...

Love all of your pictures of Skeet and the other animals but especially the one with him talking to the cats!!!! My mother-in-law used to work part-time for Walmart. Sometimes they would have 10-15 people call in sick in one day! She said Sundays were the worst; if the weather was nice lots of people called in sick and also if the weather was bad! It's hard to get good help sometimes!

Dar in Mo said...

Really cute shots of the animals on the ranch. Sorry about your WalMart. We have lots of both types of check outs at our store.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Don't get me started on a Walmart rant! Whoo that is some serious dust and dirt--do you wear eye protection when you are outside to keep the grit out of your eyes? Skeet is my kind of dog--he's a real dog with a real job and purpose!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I Hate the self checkouts!! so Im with you - and holee cow - that wind.... I thought you might have to catch me as we blew by - but yours was even worse!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...